Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Body damage evaluation for $7K. Any thing to watch out for ?

Old 12-08-2014, 03:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The adjuster finally made it to my home late friday. He was a nice guy. He was saying that once they begin to pull parts off, they will know if any other parts, not seen before taking some off, has to be change and do a better inspections. They will take it on a frame machine to check if it is whitin specification, just to make sure. He even said the shop will call me when they do it, so I can be there if I want ! To him, as is now, he thinks there is no damage to the frame rails, but a good alignment will be done anyway.
He had some parts list from the shop appraisal....door will be brand new....hood, they found a used one ! bumper...he did not want to mentioned (had been shortened as a stubby). I think they do not want to replace !!! Will find out when the shop calls to take it in for repairs, and see the "repair parts bill" before they start working on it. Eventualy fender and flare and grille is brand new also. Already a week gone by. Hope they fix it soon.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Finally the adjuster gave the OK to the body shop for repair. They picked it up yesterday afternoon. From what they said, it should be all fixed up and ready by tuesday december 23.

Meanwhile, I found some Truck-Lite headlights for sale at $250 on kijiji. Just got them delivered today. Just tested them out with other car battery......WOW they seem bright. Can't wait to get my Jeep back to install them.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

Bodyshop takes off parts. Getting ready to take measurement to verify any sub-structural damage.
They claim it could be ready on december 23 ! Hope so, but most important to me is that the repairs are done right !
Here is a picture from bodyshop :
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeeprepair.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	588081  
Old 12-17-2014, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had an accident in my wife's rubicon a few months ago. A drunk driver pulled out in front of us and we t-boned him, flipping him over. We used the dealership where we ordered the jeep for repairs which was also a recommended vendor for the insurance company. I'm glad we went that route because they gave us a lifetime warranty on the repairs that were made, which ended up being $20k including frame damage. They ended up finding a lot of other damage after removing the fenders and bumpers. We are now working on our diminished value claim with the insurance company. My best advice, don't release the insurance company from any liability until you are 100% satisfied.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TXBeachJK
I had an accident in my wife's rubicon a few months ago...,We are now working on our diminished value claim with the insurance company. My best advice, don't release the insurance company from any liability until you are 100% satisfied.
Can you tell what is the procdure for this diminished value. Does it work with all insurance company, even in Canada ?
Is there some paperwork to get from the insurance. How does anybody go about this? I am completetly unaware of any compensation for diminished value !
Old 12-17-2014, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gerlo
Can you tell what is the procdure for this diminished value. Does it work with all insurance company, even in Canada ? Is there some paperwork to get from the insurance. How does anybody go about this? I am completetly unaware of any compensation for diminished value !
Basically a diminished value claim is the difference between the value of the vehicle before the wreck and the value of the vehicle after the repairs have been made. For example, say my vehicle was worth $35k before the wreck with no accident history. Well, now my vehicle history shows that my jeep has been in a wreck and had frame damage, therefore I will lose value when/if I try to sell it. I probably wouldn't get more than $15k for it now, especially with the frame damage. Even the dealership that made the repairs wouldn't give me $100 for the vehicle, again mainly because of the frame damage. So I am filing a diminished value claim of $20k to make up for the difference in value that I am losing due an accident that wasn't my fault. Now, I have been told I have a strong case because it is a 2013 model with low miles and the repairs were extensive, including frame damage. Each scenario will be different but definitely worth looking into. I'm not sure about the laws in Canada, but I know certain states in the US allow diminished value claims, with Texas being one of them. I ended up paying a 3rd party to give me a diminished value appraisal for my jeep. It cost about $250 but that's nothing compared to what the payout should be on the diminished value claim. I wouldn't rely on the insurance company to offer this up. You'll need to look up the laws in your area to find out what your rights are.

Last edited by TXBeachJK; 12-17-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Dropped by bodyshop today. They are putting it back together. It should be ready tomorrow afternoon.
As far as I know, for now anyway, there was no structural damage to the frame, acording to one mechanic I talked to today. Will see when I pick it up, they should have a worksheet to show what was done. They better have good detailed explanation for the repair....when I talked to insurance company, they were saying it was +-$9K of repairs ! It better be justified on the worksheet, if they claim that kind of money !

After I get it home, if it is not to late, I will install my Truck-Lites headlights (found last week for$250/set on kijiji). Only tested them with car battery....first time I see them in person and very impressed how bright it was. Sure will be better than the stock ones. I wanted them for some time, but could not spill +- $600.. So that was a really good deal !! And they are brand new....not a scratch on them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0626.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	588629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0625.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	588630  
Old 12-22-2014, 10:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Looking good!
Old 12-24-2014, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

After just a week at the bodyshop, the Jeep is back home.

When I picked it up, before leaving their parking lot.......tested to see if all lights are working.......front passenger fender marker does not work !
They forgot ??? to put a bulb in it !!!

There are a few details that I will have to call them about. Beleive me I will !

About a 4" round spot on passenger side seat.....looks like somebody s**t on it

To me it looks like the hood hinges are bent/crooked on passenger side.

When they replaced the passenger headlight assembly, they went to adjust the driver's side headlight......and they broke the adjusting bolt....just found this a few hours ago when I went to install my Truck-Lite that I received last week. I know that the adjustment was fine before they got it at the shop. I had readjusted them about two months ago.
They did not get the bottom of door hinge lock nut. Should come in sometime in the next few weeks, but anyway I take them out to remove doors in the summer.

Don't know was is happening with passenger side window......wil not come down. Not electric, manual and the window crank turns free.
Door was replaced but they reinstalled all the mechanical parts from old door.

All this cost almost $9K to the insurance company!

Never trust a bodyshop that you do not know personally !

Quick Reply: Body damage evaluation for $7K. Any thing to watch out for ?