Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Body lift and tight shift boots

Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body lift and tight shift boots

Ok here is my issue. I did a 1" body lift on my jeep which made the shift boot to tight. 1st 3rd and 5th were fine but 2nd 4th 6th and reverse the boot was so tight it would pull me right out if gear. I just got the rough country shifter extension to correct it and now my problem is just reversed. 1st 3rd and 5th now get pulled right out of gear. Has anyone had this issue and what did you do to fix it?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:24 AM
JK Freak

Pull the acordian boot off and you'll need to take a exacto knife and cut and chop the inner boot some where it gets tight to relieve the pressure.....I believe theres write ups on it on other forums if you google it.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's the outer boot that is getting tight. So tight you can feel the plastic on the console lifting with the boot.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

I just got done going through this exact same issue... DAMN!! What a Pain in the A$$. I also got the RC Adapter... I ended up putting my adapter on and then turning it about 45 degrees... then I cranked down that little allen screw like crazy. In 1, 3, and 5th it would actually hit the plastic console before I canted it to the right. So now it stays in gear and the only "Issue" is that because of the 45 degree turn it now bumps the side of the console going into R. But I can live with that. Can't wait to take the BL off and go back to no shifter problems. Body Lift install... Super easy... Resulting shifter issues.... Ridiculous!!!!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the exact same problem all of you are speaking about. All i did was completely remove the boot that is attached to the center console (fake leather outside/plastic inside)

PROBLEM FIXED

Next time please take a few mins to search, there are several threads that have the exact same responses you are getting now.

Last edited by King_; 03-24-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You could add a spacer on top of the transmission cross member and raise the transmission and transfer case. I would start at 1/2" and go from there to see if it solves the problem.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by King_
I had the exact same problem all of you are speaking about. All i did was completely remove the boot that is attached to the center console (fake leather outside/plastic inside)

PROBLEM FIXED

Next time please take a few mins to search, there are several threads that have the exact same responses you are getting now.
I did search... Why do you think a thread that is over a year old just got revived? Pay attention.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deucefour
I did search... Why do you think a thread that is over a year old just got revived? Pay attention.
DEC 2012 = Over a year old?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by King_
DEC 2012 = Over a year old?
Touchè ...
Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

What I ended up doing was I took the shifter bezel up that I had previously modified to look like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3095866169.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	438380

Loosened all the bolts and pulled the boot in all the way around and retightened. I also added the shifter extender from I think rough country which only reverse my problem until I beat the S out of it with a hammer to change the angle some and all is good.

Quick Reply: Body lift and tight shift boots