Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bone stock TRYING to rock

Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bone stock TRYING to rock

I live in southern AL... More mud and sand than anything but occasionally go north to Lake Guntersville for fishing tournaments and just to stay at my Cabin. The terrain is much more appropriate for a jeep and I'd really like to do more with my 2013 JKU. I'm mostly pavement and really enjoy the look of 35s on a JKU with stock wheels and small lift. Most of the posts that I have seen say spacers are needed when equipping a jk with stock wheels with a 2.5 spring lift and 35s... Are spacers bad? Will my axles or hardware suffer with 35s? Someone give me some guidance, please. Totally new to the jeep world.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aldonoward3
I live in southern AL... More mud and sand than anything but occasionally go north to Lake Guntersville for fishing tournaments and just to stay at my Cabin. The terrain is much more appropriate for a jeep and I'd really like to do more with my 2013 JKU. I'm mostly pavement and really enjoy the look of 35s on a JKU with stock wheels and small lift. Most of the posts that I have seen say spacers are needed when equipping a jk with stock wheels with a 2.5 spring lift and 35s... Are spacers bad? Will my axles or hardware suffer with 35s? Someone give me some guidance, please. Totally new to the jeep world.
If you use quality spacers such a spidertrax, and install and torque correctly, the spacers are no different than aftermarket wheels. You can run 35's easily on a 2.5" BB and cut stock fenders. That's what i've got going on, but with aftermarket 15" wheels and 3.75" backspacing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4262729523.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	455171Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3425352679.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	455172Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1943555881.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	455173
Old 05-07-2013, 06:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running spacers now for a year. No problems at all & I use my jeep pretty hard. Just make sure to torque then properly & check the torque during every tire rotation & buy quality hub centric spacers.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any rubbing? Many have stated rubbing issues when turning sharp... I think they mentioned control arm?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Agreed on the spacers, no issues here.

There's a few things to consider when choosing a lift. You want the lift appropriate to clear the tires you plan to run. That's the biggest benefit. I would not go any taller than necessary to clear the tires. Increasing tire height will be the biggest gain in overall ground clearance (axles are the low point). The lower the lift, the lower the CG, the more stable the jeep. But, a slightly higher lift will increase your belly clearance, give you more up travel, etc.

My suggestion, pick your tires. Intall on jeep, and add appropriate length bumpstops to keep them out of the sheet metal, wheel spacers if you use factory wheels. You can run 35's with little to no lift, and about 2" front and rear bumpstops. I would then get the right length shocks. If you're running 2" bumps, you can run about 17" compressed length shocks safely up front. At that point, if you decide you need to go up in height, I would add the least amount of lift needed.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by aldonoward3
Any rubbing? Many have stated rubbing issues when turning sharp... I think they mentioned control arm?
I have never rubbed anything, full flex, full turn nothin
Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202

I have never rubbed anything, full flex, full turn nothin
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but your pic with the water fall is awesome! Where is that from?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:36 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Wolf_425
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but your pic with the water fall is awesome! Where is that from?
Haha thanks. It's from Windrock OHV Park in Oliver Springs, TN. And to be honest, i don't even think it's normally any thing like this lol. It was raining pretty steady for 2 days and I think this was just the run off from the mountain. Made for a great picture.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202

Haha thanks. It's from Windrock OHV Park in Oliver Springs, TN. And to be honest, i don't even think it's normally any thing like this lol. It was raining pretty steady for 2 days and I think this was just the run off from the mountain. Made for a great picture.
Damn sure did. Great pic for sure!

Quick Reply: Bone stock TRYING to rock