Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Stupid question

Old 11-06-2009, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid question

So, I was just talking to a friend about my jeep, and he asked if lifting it was legal, which never occurred to me. So how 'bout it? Anyone know if lifting your jeep is illegal? Is it state by state? Do different states have different laws about amount of lift?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

In CA, there is nothing specific about lifting. But there are sections in the CVC that address the heights of headlights, taillights and bumpers, and sections that cover the width of tires beyond the fenders. Thankfully our police usually are more concerned about other issues, and unless you are an a-hole, they usually look the other way.

John
Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
In CA, there is nothing specific about lifting. But there are sections in the CVC that address the heights of headlights, taillights and bumpers, and sections that cover the width of tires beyond the fenders. Thankfully our police usually are more concerned about other issues, and unless you are an a-hole, they usually look the other way.

John
Browse here:
http://zenseeker.net/4x4/LiftLaws.htm

Last edited by Robar; 11-08-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Edited clickable link
Old 11-06-2009, 08:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jdcjeep
So, I was just talking to a friend about my jeep, and he asked if lifting it was legal, which never occurred to me. So how 'bout it? Anyone know if lifting your jeep is illegal? Is it state by state? Do different states have different laws about amount of lift?
Yes. You should check your state and local regulations.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:01 PM
JK Junkie

Each state and province laws are different

Here in Quebec, max lift for an Unlimited is about 5.5"
max 3.6" of suspension plus max 1.9" of tire

This is the Law, but in reality we don't have problems up to 4" of suspension lift and 35" tires.

The major problem is the fender. If the Jeep has tires larger than the fenders, the guy will be stopped by the police for sure.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

NC has a max bumper height.

Quick Reply: Stupid question