Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buddy having trouble with his 2012 JK manual

Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buddy having trouble with his 2012 JK manual

So, my buddy who had a manual TJ since 97 traded it in for a 2012 JK 2 door manual tranny, He hates it! he has had it about a month and says he keeps randomly stalling it in first gear when leaving lights, stops ect. He states if he revs it up and its fine but does not like doing this as he feels he is slipping the clutch. He actually feels its a safety issue and does not like driving it. He has owned multiple stick vehicles over the last 40 years and is not a novice to driving a stick. He is wondering if its the 3.21 rear end.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MedicJayCook
So, my buddy who had a manual TJ since 97 traded it in for a 2012 JK 2 door manual tranny, He hates it! he has had it about a month and says he keeps randomly stalling it in first gear when leaving lights, stops ect. He states if he revs it up and its fine but does not like doing this as he feels he is slipping the clutch. He actually feels its a safety issue and does not like driving it. He has owned multiple stick vehicles over the last 40 years and is not a novice to driving a stick. He is wondering if its the 3.21 rear end.
it could be the hill assist it fucked me up at first too.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

x2 on the hill assist , do a search on here and disable it . night and day difference
Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DanieltheManual
Hill start assist disable proceedure
copy and pasted from manual

HSA Off

If you wish to turn off the HSA system, follow this procedure:

1. Start with the engine off and vehicle in PARK (automatic transmission) or NEUTRAL with clutch out (manual transmission) with wheels straight. Apply parking brake on manual transmission vehicle.
2. Start the engine.
3. With the engine running, the brake applied, and the clutch out, rotate the steering wheel 180° counterclockwise from center.
4. Press the ESP OFF switch four times within twenty seconds.
5. Rotate the steering wheel 360° clockwise (180° clockwise from center).
6. Cycle ignition switch OFF then ON.
7. If the sequence was completed properly, the “ESP/ TCS Indicator Light” will blink several times to confirm HSA is off.

Steps 1-7 must be completed within 90 seconds to turn off HSA. Repeat steps 1-7 to re-enable HSA functionality.

cheers
It worked on my 2010 good luck.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think your buddy needs to spend more time driving his new Jeep and teaching himself to adapt to the new setup. His TJ was not drive-by-wire. His JK is. That's a huge difference right there. Everything is computer-controlled including throttle input from your foot. And...the new 3.6 is not the 4.0. The 4.0 was a "let the clutch out, and it goes..." -vehicle. The 3.6, especially with 3.21's needs a little gas to get moving. It's not a safety issue. It's a re-training issue. Especially if he's been driving stick for 40 years. Did his '97 come with a 5-speed? The newer 6-speed feels very different. Also, it's possible if his rig has A/C, that the pump is on (even when you think it's not) and robbing a little bit of power at idle.

Also, I echo what was mentioned about hill-start assist. But that's not the case if it happens all the time, even on flat ground.

I find that with the 3.6, the clutch engages nicely if I apply just a tad bit of throttle. I have the 3.73's, but I remember on my older 3.8 with the 3.21 rear, I'd have to rev it to about 1,000 rpm to get it to engage without a near-stall.

Keep calm, and Jeep on?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your "buddy" really you?? Why don't you steer him to the forum, tell him to man up and ask his own questions lol.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by afpilot82
Is your "buddy" really you?? Why don't you steer him to the forum, tell him to man up and ask his own questions lol.
dem right there is fighting words
Old 12-30-2012, 04:09 AM
JK Super Freak

LMAO! That was funny!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

No its not me, I am a Younger (32) tech savy guy LOL, I have a 4 door auto, He is a older (56) not so tech savy man, His is a 2door manual. He has no idea how to bounce around the Web like I do, and im not even that good at It LOL
Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 PM
JK Newbie

+ 4 on turning off the hill assist

Quick Reply: Buddy having trouble with his 2012 JK manual