Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

35's on Stock carrier

Old 02-17-2011, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35's on Stock carrier

I'm trying to decide between 33s and 35s and I know I should get a tire carrier but I'm looking at it taking a few months or next year. Do i need to worry about sagging or the entire tailgate falling off? Anyone have experience with this and how much i should worry. If you have one would you get the relocation bracket again, a tire carrier with the tires or just go 33 and not worry about it?
Old 04-08-2013, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

This goes back to another question I asked you reference your rear tire carrier. So I guess you elected to do the OR-FAB Swing Away Tire Carrier? How do you like it? And pictures would be great. Did you utilize the Gerry Can Space? I'm thinking about this carrier but want to hear what you have to say about how much weight is or if any is on the rear bumper of that sweet JK of yours!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Stock photo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	OR-Fab Tire Carrier.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	444583  
Old 04-08-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

I have had my 35" on my stock carrier for a year now with no issues. I'm not using an extension bracket. The tire fits snug against my stock bumper so it takes some stress off the hinges. If you off road a lot there could be issues. I'm looking for a bumper and tire carrier set up now.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've seen mixed reports. I installed the MBRP reinforcing brackets, 1.5" extension, and warrior products brake light relocation. Total cost was like $100. Figure I'll run this for a while and see how it goes. First sign of trouble and I'll go ahead and spend the cash on a TF carrier.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was running Nitto 33's on the stock carrier with Hyline Offroad's spacer, the OE gate hinges wore out very quick. Within a few months, my tailgate was clunking up and down over every bump. The TF hinge solved the issue. You can get away with the oe carrier for x amount of time, but you will need something stronger at some point. The more off road you do, quicker the stock hinges and carrier will fail from the weight of your large tire.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Short answer is "Don't" run 35s on a stock rear. If you do, then its just a matter of time - the trunk gate is made of two lengths of formed sheet metal spot-welded together, that pull apart (the welds pop) with the weight of an oversize tire.

Search for "broken spot welds rear carrier", and you'll see numerous examples and photos of the gate pulling itself apart. Obviously I and others took the tire off before it became too bad.

With a decent air compressor and tire repair kit in the trunk, I ran without a spare while saving for a proper rear carrier (have Expedition One rear now).
Old 04-09-2013, 03:06 AM
JK Newbie

Do what I did and u won't have any problems

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1901398327.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	444672

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-906227935.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	444673
Old 04-09-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search. There's a ton on threads about this and I'd say 90% of people running stock carriers haven't had problems. We run 35s on the stock carrier & the JK gets abused on the trails and is a daily driver. I check the welds and gate all the time, no damage in a year + of use.

Could be a matter of time or never happen.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:07 AM
JK Super Freak

I have been running for a little over a year with the MBRP reinforcement brackets and an MBRP 1" extension bracket. Most recently I have started to notice the clunking and one of the spot welds in the back has officially started to break. I wheeled hard with the spare on and the extension bracket did not help by forcing more leverage on the spare over bumps. I will be removing my spare and opt for a tramp stamp until I can afford a rear bumper to avoid more damage. I think the secret for those that have not had problems lies with getting the tire as snug as possible to the rear bumper so that it practically rests on top of it and the spare cannot stick out very far keeping the weight of the tire close as possible. Every situation is different but in general the stock tailgate is not equiped for heavy weight.

Quick Reply: 35's on Stock carrier