Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buy a new 2 door or keep the 09 4 door HELP!!

Old 02-03-2013, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy a new 2 door or keep the 09 4 door HELP!!

Right now i can buy a brand new 2 door for around 21 or 22k otd. I currently have a 4 door that is red(witch i am not crazy about the color anymore) jk with 127k on it. I love the 4 door but where i am now and for the next few years (paying and working my way through college) i can not afford a new 4 door because they are at least 28k otd here. With 127k on my jeep the maintenance bills are starting to add up and if i am dumping my in to a jeep i want to to be something that will make it more fun to drive! I am single and want to be for at least the next 5 years so family is not a issue. Do you think i should bite the bullet and get a new jeep ? Or just keep the repairs going on this jk because i only owe 8k on it now. Will i miss my 4 door that much? Or will i not even think about it. The last 2 door i had was a 03 and that was when i first started to drive. I am lost, and the deal would have to be made very very soon if it happens what do you think? Any help would be great.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

Think long and hard about it. How often do you use all that extra room in the 4-door? Will you get to move your addons to the new Jeep?

On other note, i'll be going from a 4-door down to 2-door after I graduate from college. I have a truck i can use anytime for haulin. I don't need the extra space, even though it can be nice to have sometimes.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are close to having it paid off Vs payments for 5 years.

Did you buy the 09 new?
If not, How many miles are you putting on your jeep a year?

What kind of repairs are you running into? Keep the oil changed, fluids fresh and your jeep should be able to last a while.

What would the KBB trade or private party value be?

It's a great thing not having a vehicle payment. Once you pay it off you can put that money into a separate account for your next vehicle, OR max out 401k/ IRAs.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put around 20k a year on. And its just small things that are breaking and I am honestly getting worried about my trans I think its getting ready to go. When it dose I'll be doing a manual swap with will cost around 2500. It is also showing its age with rust staring in a few places also a somewhat easy fix if you get after it soon enough. The motor is a great shape but it needs headers. I also want to buy a soft top and the one I am looking at comes with one.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

And the trade in is only 11k but I am trying to get 13500
Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep driving it and once paid off if your engine goes drop a diesel or hemi in it.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmike232
And the trade in is only 11k but I am trying to get 13500
Well that explains how they offered you a 2 door for only 21. I would stick with the 4 door from a financial perspective.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go camping? Where I go the 4 door is too small.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

My 2DR was $20,300 OTD no trade paid cash, so those kind of deals aren't that special. You can find them pretty much any time if you look hard enough. It helps if you know how to shop for a vehicle and you aren't afraid of drive a few hundred miles to a dealer who wants to move inventory.

Debt is the enemy of wealth and adding more debt to buy a depreciating asset isn't the best idea. If you are going to do it, sell your Jeep outright and take the trade out of the deal. Figure out exactly what you want and contact every dealer within a reasonable distance and get a quote in writing. Play them against each other. You should be several % below invoice. Look at edmunds, kbb, and nada for dealer invoice and what other people paid.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i like 4 door jeeps but

I have a 2 door I don't bring lots of people in it its me usually and the 2 door tucks in to spots a four door wont believe me theres some four doors that I say wow looks great but no second thoughts about my choice with the two door so if it were me id rather have a new 2 door no breakdowns and repairs hopefully
rather than keeping a old one and always fixing it and in the end its depreaciating while its costing you
to do all the repairs and you don't get that cash back

Quick Reply: Buy a new 2 door or keep the 09 4 door HELP!!