Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buy a Rubi OR Mod the 07 ? Your thoughts?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy a Rubi OR Mod the 07 ? Your thoughts?

I have an 07 X , with pretty decent mods. It has 91K miles and the throw out bearing is whining. So I figured I would do a clutch, the bearing all new U joints while I'm at it. It's a daily driver 24mi one way.

I had been planning to upgrade the front to an after market Dana 44 housing, alloy axles, 4.88 gears, and a mechanical lockers. So it would be better than a stock Rubi (yes I said it). Cost about $6500 - $7000, and my labor.

Or I could just trade the old beast in, and get a new Rubi that has the better motor, improved gas mileage (or so they say)? Then scratch up the new paint all over again. Not to mention the cost of the lift, tires, lights, winch, etc, etc, ...

Thoughts?

Last edited by Rayster; 01-18-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I take the 2007 is paid off?What kind trade in value is the '07 worth?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tough... I don't like the 07-11 motors either. It depends on how much you like what you have and what your wallet can take. If you can afford it I'd go get a new Rub... Actually I did
Old 01-18-2013, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm making payments still, but there's not much time left. I bought it used, not that it's an issue.

I understand, a new one would would be another 60 mos of payments... However, with new comes a warranty, not that it's a guarantee that something won't go wrong...
Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same position as you before i started yo mod my jeep i have an 07 that my parents bought me used but when i got it i didnt know about lockers axles gears but now i do but i have decided if i trade in my jeep im going to pay more for a rubi and ima start all over with the payments but no im staying with my 07 and wheel it hard! If i start breaking stuff then im going to upgrade my plan is to built it into a hard core rock Crawler like evo1 or moby or the beast! (Higher grounds co owners jeep)
Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rayster
I have an 07 X , with pretty decent mods. It has 91K miles and the throw out bearing is whining. So I figured I would do a clutch, the bearing all new U joints while I'm at it. It's a daily driver 24mi one way.

I had been planning to upgrade the front to an after market Dana 44 housing, alloy axles, 4.88 gears, and a mechanical lockers. So it would be better than a stock Rubi (yes I said it). Cost about $6500 - $7000, and my labor.

Or I could just trade the old beast in, and get a new Rubi that has the better motor, improved gas mileage (or so they say)? Then scratch up the new paint all over again. Not to mention the cost of the lift, tires, lights, winch, etc, etc, ...

Thoughts?
Fuck it, get the rubi, why continue paying for a jeep that your not completely satisfied with, if your wallet can swing it paying for the rubi, why not? Live for today cause tomorrow isn't promised, life too short. Have fun bro
Old 01-18-2013, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Crazy idea, take all the parts you've put on the 07 off, and put the stockers back on. But, honestly its hard to beat the package of a Rubicon. I bought my 10' 2 dr used with 46k on the clock for $23K out the door. It has the mopar bumpers (the will get changed) and a warn winch on it. Shop around, also mechanical lockers might be stronger, but have you ever heard of a rubi locker actually breaking the case? not the magnet/coil failing, but actually breaking the carrier/diff. Also with a mechanical locker when ever you have power going to that diff, its locked. You have to let off the throttle to unlock it. Its nice hitting a button and I feel spoiled as hell. I run a detroit in the rear and a lock right up front in my K5 back home.. And now I'm so tempted to once I put a D60 under the front of it to get an OX or an ARB locker. some trails you dont need lockers pulling the whole time, sometimes you just want to see what you can do with the open diffs to have fun and try it. Sometimes you only need the rear locker. Hell that 4:1 t-case is sick, shift in and out nice and easy. I normally run mine in 4low as soon as I get on the trail and just leave it in 4th for cruising down fire roads. I vote rubion because its cheaper to start with a good platform than cut and mod crap to get what you want. If you wanted to build a really bad ass rig buy a TJ or an LJ, something cheaper that you don't mind cutting up and if you spent as much on it as you would a new rubi you could have a bad ass rig.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:11 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by offthewallsurfer
Fuck it, get the rubi, why continue paying for a jeep that your not completely satisfied with, if your wallet can swing it paying for the rubi, why not? Live for today cause tomorrow isn't promised, life too short. Have fun bro
X2 I believe in paying the man and enjoying what time I have off with the ones I love.
Life IS too short and it flies by faster and faster.
To those that love to wrench I have nothing against you enjoying that too.
I'll now get back into my Rubi and cruise on....just my 2 cents
Old 01-19-2013, 03:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RUBI! I bought a '12 Sport and resented buying a Rubi immediately......I traded up a week before Christmas and haven't looked back!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:01 AM
JK Junkie

Take everything off the 07 buy a rubi with the new motor and reinstall allthe mods off the 07

Quick Reply: Buy a Rubi OR Mod the 07 ? Your thoughts?