Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buying a Rubicon, price check.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Rubicon, price check.

I'm pretty much a noob to the whole Jeep scene and I'm about to buy my first Wrangler (had a grand cherokee but that doesnt count). The price is pretty darn good, but I'd like to get a few opinons from people on said price.

2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
- 19,755 miles
- Soft Top
- Nav
- Power Everything
- Hitch
- 6-Speed
- No rust, accidents, dents etc

Asking Price: $21,571

This is through a car dealership. I ran the value of the Jeep through KBB and Edmonds and both prices they gave me were several thousands higher then $21,571. So is this price too good to be true, or is it fairly common to see a 2dr Rubicon in this range? I even called the dealership and they verified that the price I found on the internet is legit.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a steal. Check carfax?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, beat you to it, I just bought it !

Just kidding. Sounds like it's priced like somebody doesn't know what it is.

That would be a good price on a Sport with those options.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

I check the carfax its clean. Its got me a bit concerned that it is priced so low. I have yet to see it in person and the only thing I can see "wrong" in the pictures is its missing the "R" in Rubicon, lol.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I paid 21K when I bought my 2-year old Rubi a couple years back and that was the cheapest I found anywhere in the mid-Atlantic. I would definitely grab it while you can.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing I do is crawl up under any used vehicle I am looking at before even opening a door. If it is a low sitting car I cannot see under, I will get it to a lift. Go under it from front to back looking for dents, leaks, worn components, rust levels. That often saves a lot of wasted time and tells a much more honest story than the seller probably will. If the undercarraige tells too bad a story....walk away.

You might also take it to another mechanic and/or pull the plugs, look for oil use.

If the engine is sound, the clutch is not noisy, there are no serious leaks or signs of abuse, ....then that seems like a good price.

Last edited by Yankee; 02-05-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go to the dealer and ask them for a borrowed car agreement and take it to a mechanic you trust or another dealer to do a thorough inspection. Frame mechanical electrical Etc. get me the vin and ill run an nmvtis report for you as well as double check the CARFAX. It seems very very cheap wholesale book is 24914 + 1675 mi add = 26589. I know dealers here that would buy it for 24000 to put on their lot to sell for more. If it is actually all good then this is a steal.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

Well I just called the dealership back after talking to them yesterday. The Rubicon sold this morning.

Seriously pissed, every other rubicon I see that is a couple years old under 30k miles is selling for $25+
Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ayoung
Well I just called the dealership back after talking to them yesterday. The Rubicon sold this morning.

Seriously pissed, every other rubicon I see that is a couple years old under 30k miles is selling for $25+
Told you it seemed like a steal. I would go to the dealer with the vin of that one and double check that it really is sold. Maybe they realized they f'd up on the price and are trying to get out of selling it for that low.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt

Told you it seemed like a steal. I would go to the dealer with the vin of that one and double check that it really is sold. Maybe they realized they f'd up on the price and are trying to get out of selling it for that low.
That has happened to me multiple times over the years. Beware that they'll pull some BS that they don't have to honor the erroneous advertised price due to some fine print. They use these just slightly too goo to be true deals to drive foot traffic on the lot with little intention of following through at that price. If they do honor it, they'll try to lock you into buying a lifetime supply of food for the axle seals and pedicures for your tow package.

FWIW, at that price you should be able to find a used early '12 Sport that you could build up.

Quick Reply: Buying a Rubicon, price check.