Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buying used JK - need advice

Old 05-16-2013, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying used JK - need advice

Hey, just looking for some opinions and advice for a friend who is looking at buying an used 09 JKU Sahara. The jeep has 40,000 miles and the original owner is asking $22,000. Never been offroad and the interior/exterior look great.

The catch is that it was involved in a front end collision (drivers side, no frame damage) and the axle, control arms and a few other things had to be replaced for a cost of 12K. The owner was upfront with the accident and has all receipts showing the repair. The jeep drives straight.

Would you buy it?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_B
Hey, just looking for some opinions and advice for a friend who is looking at buying an used 09 JKU Sahara. The jeep has 40,000 miles and the original owner is asking $22,000. Never been offroad and the interior/exterior look great.

The catch is that it was involved in a front end collision (drivers side, no frame damage) and the axle, control arms and a few other things had to be replaced for a cost of 12K. The owner was upfront with the accident and has all receipts showing the repair. The jeep drives straight.

Would you buy it?
Probably not no. It is nice that the owner was upfront about it but thats a big accident and it can impact parts that werent replaced cause they werent broken yet. Accidents will also make the vehicle harder to resell. Also 22 grand seem pretty high. I bought an 07 jku sahara for 14 grand with 103 000 km.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe_B

Would you buy it?
I bought an 07 3 years ago now with 30K miles never offroad for 21 from a dealer. He's out of his mind to be asking 22 for one in a major wreck.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info
Old 05-16-2013, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

That is not a very good deal considering you can buy a 2013 for $22,450 manual base sport jku. And get a clean , new jeep with a new motor vs old 3.8.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was a mint condition jku without the accident, then price wouldn't be so bad but with the accident history should be a lot less.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Joe,

I know you are looking at a Sahara, but for that price it might not be much more for a new sport. I was looking at used before I purchased mine and realized they hold their value. Decided to get a new one instead. I do have a JK not a JKU.

Quick Reply: Buying used JK - need advice