Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cancelled lifetime warrenty

Old 07-12-2013, 02:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cancelled lifetime warrenty

Some go in today for my 5 year lifetime warranty checkup. They canceled it because of my lift. When bought it 5 years ago I told them what I was going to do and they said it would be no problem. I have been there off and on as my jeep grew and they said nothing.

If you are in San Diego DO NOT go to Midway Jeep on the 8.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I would definitely find a dealer that is mod friendly. If they told you one thing and are doing the opposite, I would be irate.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have had work done under warrantee under Jeep before and they never said anything and never charged you or refused service in previous 5 year.....they have set a precedence, I would find a dealer and hope they didn't flag your jeep Vin #.

If they did good luck....

I would start with an attorney's letter to the dealer, then to Mr. Mopar.....

I know Jeep had done a lot to get those lifetimers off the road or traded in due to the continued cost.

I know a guy about a year ago traded up to a rubi and they gave him more on his trade in of the lifetimer then he paid new for it.....simply to get it out of the $$ service warrantee.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So many stories of dealerships voiding warranties.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

I find this surprising. A warranty that is purchased is a contract. Unless there is something in the warranty/contract stating that x modifications will void the warranty, then per contractual law they must accept it. The other thing that they may have in there is something to the effect of "x may void this warranty at x's discretion." I do know that the warranty would be invalid for aftermarket, non oem items. They can go to as far as not honoring it on a component that is affected by a modification, i.e. if you put on a lift kit, but some parts of the suspension are oem, they can fight it stating cause of problem is due to the non oem springs, etc. however if you have put on a lift, and the fuel pump goes out (as long as no mods have been done to fuel system) they would be required to fix the fuel pump under the warranty. You could potentially sue them, although I would probably just go elsewhere. Depending on your state, you can usually check statutes online for free. Best of luck!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Per law a warranty would be a contract. They can not void it without verbage in the warranty saying as such. These could be specific such as: "x modification will cause this warranty to be null and void." Or it can be generalized such as: "x reserves the right to cancel this warranty at their discretion." If you put on say a lift, they could state any OEM suspension parts are no longer warrantied and point fault to the lift, however if say you put on a lift, and your fuel pump dies(if nothing has been changed to the fuel system) they would have to comply with the warranty. Check your state statutes or get an attorney that "you pay nothing unless you win" and go after them. Or you can just go elsewhere, which I would probably due just because my time is more important to me.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought my Jeep from Midway.. basically told me the warranty was ok under a 3" lift.. this is somewhat surprising..

Quick Reply: Cancelled lifetime warrenty