Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

car seats in 2 doors

Old 07-25-2015, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car seats in 2 doors

I heard that 2 door Wranglers are the only non-two seaters where it is recommended for car seats to be in the front instead of rear seat. Is that true?
Old 07-25-2015, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

Not sure of the law, but having a CJ7 the rear seats have lap belt only so I put my car seat up front, in my TJ I had two car seats in the back but I had them installed by a car seat tech and used a booster seat in the front with the air bag turned off. Next time I am on duty I will ask one of the cops I run calls we and get their opinion on it. If you put child seats in the back just back sure they are done right, I see more seats done wrong with bad out comes than done right it seems.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

I was told that because there is little protection in the back, putting the car seat in the front with the seat pushed all the way back (out of range of the air bag) is the safest. If you get a chance to ask I would really appreciate it! I want to make sure my daughter is safe.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would talk to your local fire department or Sheriffs office. They are well trained in car seats AND vehicles and their child seat restraint systems. Local laws also come into play.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run both my kids car seats in the back with zero issues. Even with no top. If you remove the rear headrests, you can really cinch that top strap down tight and that sucker won't go anywhere.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think you could get the seat far enough back to be out of the way of the airbag. I could see it doing more harm than good.

My son rides in the back of my two door, but is very well protected with a full custom cage and frame tie ins.

Quick Reply: car seats in 2 doors