Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cherokee diesel, perhaps a Diesel for the JK in the future?

Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cherokee diesel, perhaps a Diesel for the JK in the future?

Maybe we have a chance
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee: news and rumors

Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 AM
JK Freak

To save people time the ratings are 240hp/420tq and 20/28mpg. If you extrapolate the numbers to a JK they would probably be 20/25 with the auto. The 8HP auto added two mpg to the GC pentastars ratings. It will probably be faster than the hemi 6speed offered this year.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I read that write up on motor trend and wow that is gonna be bad associated cherokee! That would be awesome if it came in a wrangler too! But on another note.... How bout the 8 speed in the SRT? DAMN!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:19 PM
JK Freak

After reading more on Allpar it looks like you have to move up to an unlimited to get the diesel in the GC. Will Chrysler EVER offer an affordable diesel??? I expect the JK will require a bump up to Sahara w/front D44 or Rubicon.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 PM
JK Junkie

I doubt we'll see it in the JK, but rather the next Wrangler version. I was half expecting a wrangler like concept this year that would give us insight into the next Wrangler, very different, but bits and pieces could be extrapolated, much like with the Gladiator & rescue concepts. Ah well, maybe next year.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not in the JK. The same folks who have been crying for it will all balk at the msrp of it. Fuel and maintenanceain't cheap either.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

I agree, in the GC you're looking at 17/25mpg gas versus 20/28mpg diesel with 4wd. Basically only a 3 mpg improvement(~15%)no matter what type of driving you do.

Last year I think our gas averaged $3.63 versus diesel at $4.09. So if I drove 20K, averaging 20 mpg on gas, I would have averaged 23mpg diesel. My gas cost would have been $3,663 versus Diesel at $3,556. It seems that the 3.0 diesel is only viable as a Hemi alternative where it nets a 5-7 mpg advantage(~25-33%).

VW introduced a tdi-hybrid three row SUV today, I mention it because it has their next gen tdi. It's still a 2.0L but the output is 190hp/295ftlbs. If jeep could stuff a 2.0-2.2L lightweight CGI diesel like this with 200hp and 300ftlbs mated to the 8 speed we would have a real winner. Imagine a JK with mpg in the high 20's.

Today's 3.0 intro makes me think Jeep's answer to CAFE will be to drop the Hemi and only offer the 3.0 as the upgrade.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:16 PM
JK Newbie

I was really hoping they would'nt make it a higher end engine option like they did last time. If I could have got it in a base model GC I would have gone down to my dealer and put an order in today, and traded in the wifes Jetta TDI if I could. But instead they've priced it way out of what I care to spend. A Limited model starts at $45,000 (Can), plus the diesel option. I could get into a new diesel Ram 2500 for less than that.

I'll put money on theres some monkey in a suit in a Jeep office somewhere going "We just dont sell a lot of diesels I dont understand." Its cause you only offer them in models most people cant afford even without the engine option. I'll be interested to see what that VW crossblue/durango-lookalike gets priced at some day. Its supposed to compete with the Explorer and GC and those types. I dont care for the hybrid part though, hopefully they have a TDI only option come production time.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its funny, how anxious all of you are about the JK diesel option. I had a chance to drive the EU 2.8 CRD version and its pain in the ass. There is absolutely nothing going on up until 2.000 rpms (the truck barely starts moving from the spot) and after that there is mainly just more noise. And I am not even mentioning the extra service issues connected with the diesels...

Even though I am not a fan of diesel engines, the 3.0 CRD (as currently seen in the EU GCH) is a bit different story. Nevertheless Id doubt we see it before the new Wrangler is out. It would just not be economically viable for Chrysler to go through the certification process once again.

To sum it up - everybody in the US can be super happy to have the Pentastar option as of 2011. Its a sweet engine and if you choose a 3.21 gear ratio, quite easy on the purse too. Personally, more than the diesel option, I would like to see a better transfercase (the 8-speed for that matter). That would lower the consumption and bring yet another bit more life into the current setup.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

PET77,

I do like the diesel for the noise and smell.

I'm not sure I would spend the extra money on a diesel unless it was getting 40 mpg...

Quick Reply: Cherokee diesel, perhaps a Diesel for the JK in the future?