Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cherokee opinion please

Old 02-04-2013, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cherokee opinion please

I know I should talk JK but let's face it The Cherokee is pretty nice as well and if I were to want a luxury ride along side my JK it should be a Jeep. Just how off road capable is a Cherokee?
Old 02-04-2013, 03:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jkgeneral
I know I should talk JK but let's face it The Cherokee is pretty nice as well and if I were to want a luxury ride along side my JK it should be a Jeep. Just how off road capable is a Cherokee?
The Grand Cherokee will get you to the beach and through the snow. It will go through things, but it ain't going over anything.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default yeh they just dont have the same clearance

Attachment 418309 hes right theres nothing under him

buy it ! buy a used one and lift it put 40s on it

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-04-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkgeneral
Bought the wife a 2012 Cherokee last year.

The Cherokee we got actually has some underbody protection, and a fancy dial in T-case for snow/mud/etc. It is fun to slide around in the snow in the performance setting, which turns off the traction control stuff and lets the tap-shift hold gears. I was having fun making the wife dizzy the other day (she is used to it). It is a nice sure-footed ride on the road in crappy conditions.

But it is still IFS, feels kind of fragile, and I do not consider it an offroad vehicle. Certainly would not take it where the Rubi has been.

Besides, scratching my wifes new ride up like I do the Wrangler ..I have a loaded shotgun in the house and she knows where it is.......
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

I hear ya! There's got to be someone thrashing around in one though right? I'm not saying rock crawling or river crossing but I would think it should be far more capable than a freakin land rover! I found a 2.5 inch lift that can go on a non air bag model that makes it look pretty cool.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

The trailhawk version might have potentional, if my wife didn't hate the big decal on the hood I'd be thinking about getting one.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 AM
JK Junkie

Well... I loved my Cherokee Chief. It had a 401 with Turbo 400 Tranny and full-time welded transfer case.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1758688274.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	418466

It got me out of some super sticky situations. Only Con was ground clearance with my tiny Super Swamper Thornbird TSL tires.

Great vehicle for hunting and just playing around. I had the rear seat taken out and put an Aluminum tool box in it's spot mounted the same so I could switch back to the seat easily.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Cherokee ceased production in 2001. The Grand Cherokee is still in production. Which one are you talking about?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WSU 5.9er
The Cherokee ceased production in 2001. The Grand Cherokee is still in production. Which one are you talking about?
Heh, good point. I thought since he included the word "luxury vehicle" he was talking late model Grand Cherokee. There are not many old Cherokees in running shape around here in the rust belt, and the later model ones were never something that interested me over a Wrangler.

Last edited by Yankee; 02-05-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Technically speaking, isn't the Liberty the Cherokee? I think it is only badged/marketed as a Liberty in the US. I've done mild off-roading in both the ZJ ('92) and KJ ('02) and I would say the ZJ is much more capable out of the box. The KJ was just so darn small, the KK is a little better in that respect although it also lost some capability during the redesign.

A little off topic but the above got me thinking...
I'm somewhat surprised Jeep didn't market the JKU as the Cherokee replacement. The Liberty is what the Patriot should have been; the Compass should have just been the 4x2 version. To finish the lineup all they'd need to do is produce the Brute and sell it as a Commanche.

Quick Reply: Cherokee opinion please