Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Chrysler buy back?!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler buy back?!

Hey guys , I'm curious as to what all the steps are for Chrysler to buy back a troublesome jeep. My 2012 jk with only 13k miles is going in the shop for the 5th time Saturday and this time the defroster isint working:/ I'm tired of this and I'm ready to.trade for another jeep! Any insight would be greatly appreciated , thanks jeople!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should have a lemon law booklet with your Jeep. If not, google the TX lemon law. You should find info on how to proceed with the lemon law and find a sample letter to send to the manufacturer.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by napamat87
Hey guys , I'm curious as to what all the steps are for Chrysler to buy back a troublesome jeep. My 2012 jk with only 13k miles is going in the shop for the 5th time Saturday and this time the defroster isint working:/ I'm tired of this and I'm ready to.trade for another jeep! Any insight would be greatly appreciated , thanks jeople!
It needs to be the same problem at least 4 times for tx if I remember.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swiber
It needs to be the same problem at least 4 times for tx if I remember.
Sounds right-ish?? Up here It is The same problem has to be subjected to a reasonable number of repair attempts and still continue to exist after these attempts at repair.

The law presumes that a "reasonable number" is four. However, if you have less than four repair attempts for the same problem and can justify that this is a reasonable number of repair attempts, and they have been performed within the warranty time period
Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

Default In process of buy back

I am in the process of Chrysler buying back my 2012 JKU for leaking. They have tried numerous times to fix it and I was advised last week that they would buy back the vehicle. They are giving me the sticker price(I paid less with the Affiliate program) off the new Jeep I am getting but I have to pay MSRP for the new one. This seems wrong that I can't negotiate the price like I would normally do on a new Jeep. Is this just the dealership telling me this is how it works or is this Chrysler's rule?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 AM
JK Freak

Sounds like Chrysler's rule.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend here in WA is getting a one for one. As it rains here quite often, he started taking it in for a door leak a week after he got it. After the 3rd time, everyone realized it was a top leak, but not before they had really screwed up the door alignment and caused new top leaks, let alone left hand prints on the inside of the top after the 4th time. That broke the camels back, so he went Lemon law. Yes, it must be taken in 4 times for the same issue, and the work orders need to be closed out as "fixed". He had to argue one of those with the company, but that was it. Something has always been fishy with his Jeep. He ordered it and it came with 30 miles on it, the top leaks bad, and now after 2,500 miles, there's noises coming from the engine or exhaust. We think someone had fun with it before he picked it up. No way should a customer order have more that a couple miles on it at pickup! I just bought one off the lot sight unseen that had to be brought from ID to WA and mine only had 19 miles on it.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Whatmud
I am in the process of Chrysler buying back my 2012 JKU for leaking. They have tried numerous times to fix it and I was advised last week that they would buy back the vehicle. They are giving me the sticker price(I paid less with the Affiliate program) off the new Jeep I am getting but I have to pay MSRP for the new one. This seems wrong that I can't negotiate the price like I would normally do on a new Jeep. Is this just the dealership telling me this is how it works or is this Chrysler's rule?
Was your Jeep declared a lemon by the state? If not and the facts are in your favor you can make a counter offer.

I have been thru Lemon Law in FL and NJ. Both were very consumer friendly and put the manufacturer on the defense. In both states the lemon hearing was a slam dunk in my favor. The manufacture saw this and offered to make settlement before deliberation. There is a benefit to the manufacturer to settle before the vehicle is declared a lemon. The lemon label will have a very negative impact on the title of the vehicle. Since my case was settled during a new model year they could not replace the vehicle with the same model year. They offered a 'difference in MSRP' deal for a new model year vehicle. I declined and counter offered with difference in dealer cost with no mileage penalty. I drove my jeep for about a year, 10k miles, and my settlement with Jeep put me into a brand new model year for $300.

You do not have to take the manufacturer offer if they try to settle before the vehicle is declared a lemon. Make a counter offer.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

To qualify for a lemon arbitration there had to be a number of failed repair attempts for the same symptoms or a number of days out service for multiple symptoms. In FL the dealer had to be notified of intent to file lemon law after the 3rd attempt and prior to the 4th attempt to fix the same issue. The issue was not corrected after the 4th attempt so I filed. I believe the days out of service number was 30 days in the first year.

Quick Reply: Chrysler buy back?!