Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Chrysler Called and Wants to Buy Back Jeep??? Anyone heard this before?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler Called and Wants to Buy Back Jeep??? Anyone heard this before?

My husband got a call today saying that Chrysler contacted him and has a client looking for black 4 doors, and they are willing to trade us up to a 2008 (mine already has 18,000 miles on it) at no extra charge.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I am really confused and it all sounds like a strange ploy to me.

Thanks!

Sharon
Old 11-27-2007, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Would you have to wait for the 2008?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

He specified he would only consider it if we were given a 2008 model... and they said it shouldn't be an issue. My Dealer only has 2008 on the lot so I am wondering if we would have to pick from stock or wait for an order to be placed. I don't know.

I am just very leary about the whole thing. She said we will be at your jeep dealer will you be able to make it, and so my husband made an appointment. He said what can it hurt if we are at the Jeep dealership it has to be a little legitimate.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like too good to be true. And when that happens, it's a scam.

First, Chrysler wouldn't call. A dealer, a shifty one, would call and offer you something like that. I can't see the angle at this point though. Doesn't mean there isn't one. Please give us more info.

Edit: Saw your 2nd post so here I'm editing myself. Your dealer is involved so it does add something to the legitimacy. You may have a rich guy or friend w/ the owner who wants that specific package you have and I don't think that 2008 X JKs can have 4.10 gearing. So they may be trying to help this guy out. Maybe he doesn't want to wait 8 months for a Rubi w/ the 4.10 gearing.... I really don't know but I'll be interested to see what they say.

Last edited by inajeep; 11-27-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds fishy. Step carefully. It probably wouldn't hurt to call their sales manager and perhaps a representative at Chrysler to ensure that this is legitimate.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Howeecow
My husband got a call today saying that Chrysler contacted him and has a client looking for black 4 doors, and they are willing to trade us up to a 2008 (mine already has 18,000 miles on it) at no extra charge.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I am really confused and it all sounds like a strange ploy to me.

Thanks!

Sharon
That is an old dealer tactic, especially toward the end of the year when they need to hit numbers. They say "no extra charge", but that means your payments will stay the same but the amount of payments will start over. For example, if you did 5 year financing for the '07 with 1 year of payments, the '08 will be at another 5 year financing term.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you go through with it also be careful of sales tax. If the value of your "trade-in" is less than the value of the new jeep and the dealership doesn't pay on your behalf... you could receive a nasty little letter months down the road from your state taxing authority. {I had an issue with the California Franchise Tax Board when I lived there about something simliar. Beside tax due... they demanded almost twice that amount in Penalty and Interest}.

Does seem odd, if not unlikely, for it to be legit.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Ok my husband called the dealer. He said they sometimes have chrysler call for certain inventory because Chrysler themselves have buyers that are looking for fleet vehicles but need them immediately. They can't wait for the build time.

My Dealer said they have heard of this happening and Chrsyler will bend over backwards to ensure the buyer has the right amount of jeeps he needs.

Still sounds like a Dealer thing. I am going to call Chrysler. I noticed when I went on their sites the 4.10 gear ratio isn't available anymore on the X.

We have been having leak issues with our top, so it's tempting if it's real. But you are right sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I will tread very lightly and thanks for the tax thing, I would have never thought of that!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have gotten these calls before and it is usually a third party representing the dealership. They state that there is a huge demad for the vehicle, and that they will pay off the loan, and then some, and get you a deal on a new Jeep. It is just a ploy to get you into the dealership, and sell you a new vehicle.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

That sounds really strange.

I would think if they had a special customer that couldn't wait for a build time, and they showed up with greenbacks, Jeep could order the next Jeep off the line to be the one they wanted.

If the buyer wanted a Jeep with 18K miles, they would go find a used one themselves.

Sounds like a trick to get you to buy a new vehicle to me. Doesn't mean it might not be a good buy, but I'd be careful. Those dealers are a tricky bunch, and they are good at seperating a lot of cash from your wallett.

Quick Reply: Chrysler Called and Wants to Buy Back Jeep??? Anyone heard this before?