Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cleaning fenders

Old 09-19-2016, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning fenders

What's the magic potion everyone's using to clean the plastic fenders on the JK. I've tried some of the basic lift and shine formulas to no avail. Also, what about the soft top Windows??
Old 09-19-2016, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't had my JK long enough to worry about the fender color fade or the revitalizing compounds. I know back to black works but think there are longer lasting brands out there as I used it on a past pickup and had to re-apply in a short period of time. As far as the plastic windows go stay away from cleaners and just use water and a soft cloth. Scratches can be buffed out if not real deep with a fine buffing compound for plastics or even used automotive paint scratch remover without issue.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Bestop makes a fender cleaner but I just scrub them pretty heavily with simple green and it takes the gunk out of them. The bestop product is nice but it's pricey and it requires frequent use to keep on top of it.

I use a standard marine plastic cleaner on the windows as well as turtle wax plastix to clean it. I'm now converting over to BugSlide on the windows. It's a UV protectant, wax, and non-abrasive cleaner all in one.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Bestop makes a fender cleaner but I just scrub them pretty heavily with simple green and it takes the gunk out of them. The bestop product is nice but it's pricey and it requires frequent use to keep on top of it.

I use a standard marine plastic cleaner on the windows as well as turtle wax plastix to clean it. I'm now converting over to BugSlide on the windows. It's a UV protectant, wax, and non-abrasive cleaner all in one.
Heard Bugslide mentioned before but never looked into it. Just watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acze6r7-QXk on it and thats crazy how they just wiped off but there again a fresh waxing prior to bug plastering helps them come off easier........still looks like pretty great stuff. UV protection a big plus. Nice call
Old 09-19-2016, 06:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I've used back to black as well as some others. Lost recently I applied a gel tire shine product to the fenders. It actually worked well, though it took a little more effort to get it thoroughly rubbed in.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zhanczar27
What's the magic potion everyone's using to clean the plastic fenders on the JK. I've tried some of the basic lift and shine formulas to no avail. Also, what about the soft top Windows??
I've always used 303 aerospace or Meguiars boat vinyl cleaner. Both work very well especially if you already have a little fading.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've used Back to Black more than once, and it does a good job, but seemed like a lot of effort (trying not to get it on the paint). Last wash I was feeling lazy and just sprayed the fenders/bumpers with the 303 and wiped them down. I am astonished almost two weeks later how great they still look, especially taking into account the effort it took. I already loved the stuff for the interior, but it brought my grey fenders and bumpers...back to black! Door handles, too!
Old 09-20-2016, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

I usually just clean them with soap and water and I have a cheap wet look tore shine that makes them look nice and shiny but they aren't faded I just use this when I want to make her feel pretty haha

Quick Reply: Cleaning fenders