Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Clockspring recall

Old 07-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutman
I've been lucky in that I've never had to deal with recalls on any of my vehicles. But is it common to recall a part on an 8 year old vehicle? Who does that?
It's not common until it's a documented issue and it's directly related to safety. As a community, jeep owners have been coming complaints about the clockspring and fuel overfill issues for years now. We got a recall on the clockspring but the gas spill they'll just let us deal with. Notice there's no recall on the noisy throwout bearings.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls10jk
It's not common until it's a documented issue and it's directly related to safety. As a community, jeep owners have been coming complaints about the clockspring and fuel overfill issues for years now. We got a recall on the clockspring but the gas spill they'll just let us deal with. Notice there's no recall on the noisy throwout bearings.
There was a recall on the fuel tank inlet check valve issue and that part now has a lifetime warranty. But I just checked my paperwork and it say 07-08.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just got my recall notice today. Haven't had any issues (that I can tell) but I've read enough from you guys to know that I want this fixed. It does say that parts aren't available yet. More mailings to come is what it says.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just received my letter from FCA on the recall. Last year I had the Air Bag light come on and had to have the Clockspring replaced. It cost me $700+ back then.

So, my question is this: Has anyone successfully gotten FCA to reimburse them for a previous Clockspring repair that is now being recalled? I plan on going to the dealer and raising cane to get my money back. It would be good to know if the precedent has already been set to get a refund.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

There is a link in your letter, if you follow it then there are places to input the date of the work, cost of the work, shop that completed it, as well as places to upload the invoice and any other parts.

I submitted my receipt from purchasing the clockspring and put a note in the comments section that I'd be happy to provide pictures of the repair in progress if they needed it since I replaced the unit in my garage.

So no precedent but looking at the form- it sounds like you'll have a much better experience than I will in regards to a refund.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. I wasn't reading it carefully enough. Now I see that part.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JeepRecallLetter.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	651966
Old 07-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Can you keep this thread updated if/ when you receive the refund check? I'll post up if/ when I get mine or if they request more info.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will add an update when/If my refund is sent. It may be up to 60 days.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got my letter in the mail today. Problem is mine just failed, for the second time. Look like they get to fix it then do it right when the real fix is out.

I really hoping they will re-imburse me for fixing it back in 2012.( i just found the receipt)
Old 08-22-2016, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I finally got my refund check.

FYI, make sure that you include the TAX in your requested amount.

Quick Reply: Clockspring recall