Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cold start up tick and rattle!

Old 09-28-2014, 08:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold start up tick and rattle!

Just did an oil change and wanted to try Royal Purple vs. my long standing Mobil 1. Both 5-30.
Why? Curiosity, not much else. I recently read a good article on the various brands of oil out there and identifying these two specifically, the article found them to be very close in regards to protection, suspension of contaminants, etc. the article did indicate Mobil 1 being superior to many on the cold start up. It also indicated Mobil 1 was a true full synthetic where the royal purple was a mineral oil base with synthetic additives.
My first observation was the Royal Purple was thicker than the Mobil 1 10-30 I had on hand. Second, I also noticed my temp gauge running about 2 needle widths higher than with Mobil 1. Now, on cold start up this morning, Holy Hell engine knock & ticking like crazy! It did go away after about 5 seconds. Between the temp gauge and the cold start up noise (which was minimal with Mobil 1), I will be rolling back to Mobil 1 on the next change. I may even drop 1/2 quart and top off with Marvel Mystery just to thin it out a bit.

Anybody else experience anything like this?

I've used Mobil 1 for the last 15 years at every 3k. I know, I know, many of you think it's a waste of money. And there is another group who is die hard Dino lovers. I'm just interested in engine knock on using royal purple.

I used RP in my Diffs and noticed a difference in how easily the lockers engage and disengage. Just thought I would try the engine sludge too.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Just did an oil change and wanted to try Royal Purple vs. my long standing Mobil 1. Both 5-30. Why? Curiosity, not much else. I recently read a good article on the various brands of oil out there and identifying these two specifically, the article found them to be very close in regards to protection, suspension of contaminants, etc. the article did indicate Mobil 1 being superior to many on the cold start up. It also indicated Mobil 1 was a true full synthetic where the royal purple was a mineral oil base with synthetic additives. My first observation was the Royal Purple was thicker than the Mobil 1 10-30 I had on hand. Second, I also noticed my temp gauge running about 2 needle widths higher than with Mobil 1. Now, on cold start up this morning, Holy Hell engine knock & ticking like crazy! It did go away after about 5 seconds. Between the temp gauge and the cold start up noise (which was minimal with Mobil 1), I will be rolling back to Mobil 1 on the next change. I may even drop 1/2 quart and top off with Marvel Mystery just to thin it out a bit. Anybody else experience anything like this? I've used Mobil 1 for the last 15 years at every 3k. I know, I know, many of you think it's a waste of money. And there is another group who is die hard Dino lovers. I'm just interested in engine knock on using royal purple. I used RP in my Diffs and noticed a difference in how easily the lockers engage and disengage. Just thought I would try the engine sludge too.
I use mostly penzoil in my 2012. I now have 50,000 miles. I change using synthetic every 5k. In addition to penzoil I have also used castrol once and the oil in there now is royal purple. I can honestly say I can never tell any difference among any of these oils as far as sounds and performance go. I don't use Mobil 1 because it does not carry the Chrysler MS certification. I don't want to give chrysler any wiggle room to deny any claims since I have lifetime warranty.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I use mostly penzoil in my 2012. I now have 50,000 miles. I change using synthetic every 5k. In addition to penzoil I have also used castrol once and the oil in there now is royal purple. I can honestly say I can never tell any difference among any of these oils as far as sounds and performance go. I don't use Mobil 1 because it does not carry the Chrysler MS certification. I don't want to give chrysler any wiggle room to deny any claims since I have lifetime warranty.
the easy way around that claim is to change it out prior to taking it in. I'm not concerned for that part of it anyway. Just didn't like the sound on cold start up is am.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 13 is noisy for 30 secs on start up. No ticks, but clearly noisier. No issues but something I noticed until warms up , high idle down to 1 k. 2013 7500 miles.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 09-28-2014, 05:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JRJKUS
My 13 is noisy for 30 secs on start up. No ticks, but clearly noisier. No issues but something I noticed until warms up , high idle down to 1 k. 2013 7500 miles. Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
thanks! That would drive me nuts. This is the first time it's been this bad. The only thing different, the oil.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Bad anti drainback valve in oil filter.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKJP
Bad anti drainback valve in oil filter.
it's a 2012. No drain back in the filter. Only if the housing hasn't, it might have gone bad I guess. But, I will know for certain on the next change.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I use mopar filters and penzoil synthetic 5-20. Just sounds a little more mechanical for 10 sec. Don't think anything wrong, will have to listen to a used one next time I'm at the stealer ship

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 10-10-2014, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

Well, after multiple cold start ups, including a 4 day rest at the airport, followed by a 3 day rest at the airport, no other cold start up noise. It actually sounds better. The only thing I can think is the anti drain valve stuck or the system just needed a good run to get oil in all the right places.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Well, after multiple cold start ups, including a 4 day rest at the airport, followed by a 3 day rest at the airport, no other cold start up noise. It actually sounds better. The only thing I can think is the anti drain valve stuck or the system just needed a good run to get oil in all the right places.
good to hear. I've used RP, mobile 1, penzoil full syn, and castrol full syn. Never made any noise. Only time was actually with a Mopar oil filter and with some no-name brand a lube place used. As long as I stick with Motorcraft or Penzoil filters, no issues. Mine is abit different since it is an'09.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.

Quick Reply: Cold start up tick and rattle!