Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Collecting Data for Pentastar Head Replacement issues in JK's

Old 09-02-2012, 09:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dkfrank78
Has anyone had issues with both heads? I had my drivers side head replaced two weeks ago and today the cel came back on with a code of p0305 cylinder 5 mis fire. Sure enough the passenger side head is ticking now. Off to the stealership again on Tuesday. I love my jeep but man this is becoming ridiculous. I am starting to miss my tj and it's inline 4.0.
I'm sorry, but I don't remember anyone saying that they had issues with both heads. I would estimate that 98% of head issues are drivers side. For the other heads that I've documented, the owner has not specified which head was causing the issue.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

Default Check engine light

I read that the affected engines have the check engine light come on...has anyone had a different experience? I have a ticking but the check engine light hasn't come on.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

Yes, the majority of the issues started with ticking only, no CEL until later.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:46 PM
JK Freak

Anyone know if this issue was resolved with the 2013's? I just got my 2013 last week, and really hope I don't develop this problem!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:22 AM
JK Newbie

I still cant get a dealer or Jeep to even look at mine. The service manager at the dealer has told me that he knows about the issues with the pentastar engines (not just in the wranglers either), but since I have no CEL or noticeable power or performance issues he cant do anything. The only thing they have done is listen to it and tell me "Wow, that sounds f***** up". The noise is so loud i can hear it in the cabin over all the ambient sound with doors on, top on, and windows closed. If i have the doors off it drowns out ambient sound! To be honest im kind of embarrassed to be driving it. Jeep has also told me that they wont do anything untill something actually goes wrong with it. Its a 2012 Crush JKU build date 10-11 and still under 9k miles. My friend that bought his 2012 JKU 3 weeks before me just traded his in because they wouldnt fix it, and Im about to do the same.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by flammableliquid
I still cant get a dealer or Jeep to even look at mine. The service manager at the dealer has told me that he knows about the issues with the pentastar engines (not just in the wranglers either), but since I have no CEL or noticeable power or performance issues he cant do anything. The only thing they have done is listen to it and tell me "Wow, that sounds f***** up". The noise is so loud i can hear it in the cabin over all the ambient sound with doors on, top on, and windows closed. If i have the doors off it drowns out ambient sound! To be honest im kind of embarrassed to be driving it. Jeep has also told me that they wont do anything untill something actually goes wrong with it. Its a 2012 Crush JKU build date 10-11 and still under 9k miles. My friend that bought his 2012 JKU 3 weeks before me just traded his in because they wouldnt fix it, and Im about to do the same.
No, no, NO! You need to find a different dealer! Maybe you've had bad luck with dealers twice. That response is not typical and at this point is unheard of for this issue. Call Chrysler, tell them of the situation and they will assign a case number to you regarding the issue. As them to refer you to the best dealer that will fix the problem. Today, dealers are very aware of the problem and although they may initially question the reason for the noise, they are much quicker to realize it is the dreaded "pentastar tick" and replace the heads...no questions asked.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Thanks to all of you who have been sending me your info regarding the development of your 2012 JK cylinder misfires, ticks, CEL's and head replacements. Please continue to update me on your status so that I can keep the spreadsheet current. I still am getting a small influx of people with new head issues, but nothing like 4/2012 thru 7/2012.

Here's to hoping that one day the spreadsheet will be obsolete...
Old 09-11-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

I have called Chrysler and was even told by them that they wont do anything until it throws a code or has a driveability issue.

So now I just turn up the music more and hope on a daily basis it breaks down.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by flammableliquid
I have called Chrysler and was even told by them that they wont do anything until it throws a code or has a driveability issue.

So now I just turn up the music more and hope on a daily basis it breaks down.
You need to push harder. this is an expensive machine with a full warranty. ask them what the noise could be. if they say injectors, tell them why the left side is 100x louder than the right and sounds nothing like injectors. nail them to the wall. it's your money we're talking about.

I have had a tick from 1k miles. 9k miles now. No CEL. it's at the dealer right now waiting for a new head. the dealer contacted chrysler and they said to pull the valve cover and check the valve lash. mine failed the check. You definitely don't need a CEL to get this done. My idle was a bit rough though and the tick was absurdly loud. audible with top and doors on at all speeds.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

your inbox is full. here's my data if you want it:

*JKU 6-speed 3.73
* build date 4/24/12 (custom order - delivered 05/11/12 w/6 miles on it)
- not sure about engine build date, oil pan inspection says 3/22/2012 so the engine is probably a 4/XX/12 build
*1000 miles: obvious ticking
*1600 miles: diagnosis as "normal" by dealer
*2000 miles: chrysler requested to pull valve cover (i was on a roadtrip)
*6000 miles: misfiring at idle, but no CEL
*8500 miles (9/10/12): valve cover pulled, head faulty, new head on order
- rental provided 2011 dodge durango 3.6 pentastar NO TICK!
- head on restriction, supposed to take 5 days start to finish

*never a CEL
*no drop in mileage at all - still get 20.5 avg.
*dealer did not require a CEL
*dealer admits to replacing several heads already

Quick Reply: Collecting Data for Pentastar Head Replacement issues in JK's