Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Coming Back to Jeeping - Help Me Plan

Old 07-04-2015, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coming Back to Jeeping - Help Me Plan

After totaling out my 2008 Rubicon I was left driving my Subaru BRZ for a couple of years. I had used the money I got from the insurance company to put a down payment on a new home for my wife and I to build a family in. Now that we're established here we turn to talks of starting a family. The BRZ is... not a family friendly car. So, I sold it last Friday to a couple from Oklahoma. I now find myself without a car. The wife and I talked it over. We decided we needed a vehicle we could put a child seat in easily, that could haul kid things, and that was most assuredly NOT a minivan. This got me talking about my old Rubicon and how much I missed it to which my wife replied, "Why not get a new one?"

Having achieved wife approval status I've set out to find my new Rubicon. Before I pulled the trigger I wanted to come back to the fold and find out what everyone thought about my order. I've not been a avid member for a few years and know virtually nothing about how the new Pentastar engine effects the overall vehicle other than to say I like the power increase! Here's what I'm considering ordering. Tear it apart. Be brutal, be honest. But most of all be patient as I'm trying to educate myself again.

Things I'm "Sure" Of
2015/2016 Rubicon Unlimited
Anvil Grey w/ Black Interior
5 Speed Auto
3 Piece Freedom Top
Max Tow Package
Heated Front Seats (Cloth)

Things I'm NOT Sure Of
Freedom Top Headliner
Alpine 9 Speaker System
3.73 vs 4.10

My long term plan is to put on 315/70R17 DuraTracs like I had on my old Wrangler. My new garage has some height clearance concerns however so I'm not sure if I'll have to flat fender or what to get it to fit. I'd certainly lift it no more than 2.5". This will also be driven 96% of the time on the street, so while fuel economy isn't a huge concern (our other cars a Prius) it is a mild one. If I have to choose between a complete loss of power and acceleration or lower fuel economy I'll gladly pay for the gas.

I'm also considering getting the Hotheads Headliners instead of the MOPAR ones from the vendor as they seem to be better made and get excellent reviews here.

Any advice?
Old 07-04-2015, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My .02 would definitely be to go with at least 4.10 if you plan to run 315's or any larger tires. I run the same tires on 3.73 and can't wait to regear. I dropped MPG to 12.8 from 17 as soon as I put those tires on. Again just my .02, sure you'll get a lot of opinions. Congrats on the new JK, I know you'll love it!
Old 07-04-2015, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought Rubicon comes only with 4.10 gears, correct me if I'm wrong, or is it 3.73 standard and 4.10 optional? If you plan on driving mostly on paved roads and MPG is somewhat a concern, why not stay with 33's the most and do maybe a BB lift or just stay stock height. Rubicon is very capable in stock form.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go 4.10s just to accommodate the larger tires a lot easier. You could do as the other guy said and stick with 33's in which case you may be able to get away with the 3.73s and save the upgrade cost. Companies are making 1.5" lifts now so that would still give you a slight lift and look really clean with 33's.

I'd go with the hot head headliners again just to save upgrade cost on the mopar one. And being in Colorado you may not even need it depending on where you are there.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Alpine speaker system is totally worth it. My old jeep I couldn't hear my music with the top down. The alpine system I have now in my rubicon kicks ass.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
I'd go 4.10s just to accommodate the larger tires a lot easier. You could do as the other guy said and stick with 33's in which case you may be able to get away with the 3.73s and save the upgrade cost. Companies are making 1.5" lifts now so that would still give you a slight lift and look really clean with 33's.

I'd go with the hot head headliners again just to save upgrade cost on the mopar one. And being in Colorado you may not even need it depending on where you are there.
I'm actually in St. Louis Missouri which gets pretty dang warm in the summer. So the headliner inserts are kinda a need. I remember when a few people were making their own back when I had my 2K8 and saying what a difference they made.

Yeah, on the newer Rubicons apparently 3:73's are standard and 4:10's are an upgrade. About $400 but totally worth it I'm thinking. I just needed a couple people to push me over the edge.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:23 PM
RC3
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

4.10s are definitely worth $400! And the Unlimited is a good choice for the family - car seat works well in the back seat. My only issue is that my pants always get dirty while putting the kid in the seat as my right leg rubs against the tire (35" tires with flat fenders). Big bonus - you get the "minivan" motor!
Old 07-04-2015, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Skippman

I'm actually in St. Louis Missouri which gets pretty dang warm in the summer. So the headliner inserts are kinda a need. I remember when a few people were making their own back when I had my 2K8 and saying what a difference they made.

Yeah, on the newer Rubicons apparently 3:73's are standard and 4:10's are an upgrade. About $400 but totally worth it I'm thinking. I just needed a couple people to push me over the edge.
Sorry I guess my mind was on another thread. Then yea Missouri is a lot like Louisiana (spent 4.5 months at Ft. Leonardwood) so yea it's probably worth it lol.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RC3
4.10s are definitely worth $400! And the Unlimited is a good choice for the family - car seat works well in the back seat. My only issue is that my pants always get dirty while putting the kid in the seat as my right leg rubs against the tire (35" tires with flat fenders). Big bonus - you get the "minivan" motor!
Minivan motor was the 3.8l. 3.6l is a better
Old 07-04-2015, 02:47 PM
RC3
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny

Minivan motor was the 3.8l. 3.6l is a better
I'm pretty sure the Caravan has the 3.6 in it also.

Quick Reply: Coming Back to Jeeping - Help Me Plan