Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

...Complaints on Jeep Reliability... REALLY ?!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ...Complaints on Jeep Reliability... REALLY ?!

Toyota - the 'legend of reliability' - just announced (once again) a recall of nearly 3 million cars (Corolla, Prius etc'), because of steering and water pump problems.

When was a large-scale recall of the Wrangler, in the last 5~6 years ?!

Relative to the car industry, the Wrangler is in a good position on the reliability-order list.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-14-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember a few recalls but nothing like 3 million cars all at once. had a recall on my 95 YJ for e-brake problems. disengaging, metal breaking etc. Had an emissions recall on my 2011. both quick and easy fixes. Also nothing like catching on fire..LOL
Old 11-14-2012, 01:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to agree with you and the Wrangler was just rated one of the least expensive vehicle to own partly because of reliability but they did just have a recall of somewhere around 87,000 2010 models for lighting on fire, there have been numerous 2012's with the engine tick problem that should be a recall but it hasn't happened yet and here is a list of previous recalls: http://www.motortrend.com/used_cars/...ngler/recalls/

The number of Toyotas recalled is a lot but I can't imagine Jeep sells anywhere near that many units a year considering the Wrangler yearly sales are just under 140k.

How do I have time for all this research? My 2012 engine let go with no warning at less than 14,000 miles and it has been at the dealer since a week from last Saturday without any answer of what happened or when it will be fixed. I have the lifetime warranty so I only get five days of free rental and I've yet to hear back if the last four days and anymore after are going to come out of my pocket or Chrysler's while I'm stuck driving a Town & Country instead of crawling rocks with the boys.

I may be the wrong person to ask about reliability.

What I'm really trying to say is recalls happen to almost every vehicle line at some point. The sticky gas pedal thing for Toyota I don't think was ever really proven and it only happened to a couple cars. I have a theory that some Prius owners just have no business driving and they wanted to blame the car for their accident. I think my Rodeo had like three recalls that I ignored as they were minor and never affected mine. Usually the issues you actually have (rodeos were known for failing gas gauges) never become a recall. The maker just hopes it happens after the warranty runs out.

Last edited by keithvegas; 11-14-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by keithvegas
I would love to agree with you..... The number of Toyotas recalled is a lot but I can't imagine Jeep sells anywhere near that many units a year considering the Wrangler yearly sales are just under 140k ..... My 2012 engine let go with no warning at less than 14,000 miles .....

What I'm really trying to say is recalls happen to almost every vehicle line at some point. The sticky gas pedal thing for Toyota I don't think was ever really proven and it only happened to a couple cars. I have a theory that some Prius owners just have no business driving and they wanted to blame the car for their accident. I think my Rodeo had like three recalls that I ignored as they were minor and never affected mine. Usually the issues you actually have (rodeos were known for failing gas gauges) never become a recall. The maker just hopes it happens after the warranty runs out.
For you, of course, that's 100% unreliability.

The issue of reliability is relative to other vehicles. Relative to cars in general, it seems that the Wrangler is in a good place.

The Jeep shop I work with, for instance, has very little repair work. Almost all their work is mods or routine maintenance -- or repairs caused by "enthusiastic" offroading.

My son used to have a VW Passat. The VW shop was always piled with relatively new cars waiting for repairs.
It's like this everywhere I look...

I once talked with a sale rep. of Mercedes and Hyundai here.
She's impressively knowledgeable about cars.
I said (I was kidding, but didn't show it) - "Why won't I get a Merc' sports car for a change?".
She replied - "I know you. You want to see the shop only for routine service, and not get stuck with repairs. No Mercedes, regardless of model, would have the Hyundai Sonata reliability." ...
(She said it because she knows me well, she wouldn't say this to customers...)

Sure, the Wrangler isn't 100% reliable. No vehicle is.
My point is that the complaints about Wranglers' unreliability are quite exaggerated.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-14-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:59 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by keithvegas

Keith, that stinks man... did the engine lock up, or will the engine not turnover? What do think the problem is? I am interested to know what's up... I'm about to turn 14K on mine next week. No problems so far and I hope it stays that way.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:03 AM
JK Freak

We used to tease a buddy of mine that his Rabbit had more miles up and down than forward because the time it spent being worked on. I think a lot of reliability is based on perception. Honda and Toyota have a much better image than Chrysler and GM when it comes to reliability.

My JK is the first Chrysler I've owned since the early 90's and my '86 Dodge Daytona was a piece of junk that I loved. An air leak in the carb gave me random stall issues at the worst times but when she ran she was gorgeous.

We've got probably 20 or more TJ's, YJ's and assorted Cherokees in our club that rarely fail anything that isn't trail related so I have a lot of confidence in previous jeeps. I just hope I can regain trust in my baby again.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by scooby snacks

Keith, that stinks man... did the engine lock up, or will the engine not turnover? What do think the problem is? I am interested to know what's up... I'm about to turn 14K on mine next week. No problems so far and I hope it stays that way.
Driving around 60 on the highway, no noises, smoke or any warning about 1k since the last oil change and no drop at all in level I hear a loud bang and a clacking. Pull off the next exit and coast into a parking lot. Try to restart and get random firing but not enough to restart and a rhythmic loud clack from the engine.

Guesses have been timing chain or valve/spring but the dealer had a couple vehicles before me with engine issues and only one engine tech.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

Jeep don't have many recalls but they have many common problems and the dealership knows this yet refuses to put an actual recall out on them bulletin for the throw out bearing but no recall etc etc dont have time to get in to it
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

I have to question reliability on any Chrysler product. The 3.8 are junk motors how many of them burn oil after 30-40k an not just in JK in the mini vans too. This has been a common problem but to Chrysler it normal to burn oil up to 1qt every thousand miles. What a joke.

How can you have a car that was bought new an after 1-2 yrs you have anywhere from 1-3qt of oil burning between oil changes!!

Now as far as Toyota an Honda they do have recalls on lil things but when do you hear after 30k that there burning oil as much as a Chrysler product? You don't!

My friends has a 94 Tacoma with 180k on it an doesn't burn one drop. Just had to change a timing chain around 100k which is normal in most vehicles. He also has a 00 camary with 102k on it an never had any problems nore does it burn oil.

Now I love my JK but I'm afraid that's it can granade itself at anytime. I have 17k on my 11 an my buddy has a 10 with 38k on his. Now his motor is burning over 2qt between oil changes an he changes every 3k. An I thought about going an buying a new JK but all I keep hearing is problems with the motor an other issues with the JK.

So IMO I will never buy another Chrysler product again I will keep my JK for now but will prob get rid of it come the new year since I drive far for work an need something with a more reliable record then Chrysler.

I love the idea of the jeep an it concept but it just not something that can be relied on IMO for a everyday rig.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how reliable my Jeep will be. Im hoping it lasts a good long time and seeing as its not my daily driver it could possibly last my lifetime if I can afford gas in 40 years. As far as Toyota reliability my '01 Corolla the only stuff Ive had to do to it is put on brakes at about 60k. Did the serpentine belt at the same time, was starting to crack. It burns no oil and the oil actually looks brand new when its time to change it. Really sad that my '11 Jeep actually uses about 1/2 quart between oil changes but I knew oil burning was a possibility when I bought it as I had done my research.

Every vehicle maufacturer has problems with their vehicles. Its how they are dealt with that really makes the difference. If toyota made Jeeps or a real reissue FJ40 type of vehicle thats likely what I would have bought. Fortunately for Jeep there is something about FJ's that really doesnt appeal to me visually not to mention the IFS.

Rob

Quick Reply: ...Complaints on Jeep Reliability... REALLY ?!