Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Coolant smell!

Old 11-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by wittys-jk
Replaced the cap already but may have to do it again to eliminate this as the issue for sure.
Yea might not be a bad idea. I think I paid $6 for a new cap.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I had the smell and a slick squeal...to the point if I was at a drive thru. I would have to turn the jeep off to hear them. The dealer said my batch of jeeps had a faulty water pump...so they replaced it. Now it purrs quietly...for now
Old 11-23-2014, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Smell is gone all seems good
Old 11-27-2014, 09:59 PM
JK Freak

Kinda same thing. I've got a '14 JKUR with 8500 miles and lately having coolant smell. Seemed like a few times of wet spots in the garage but not consistent. Been going on for awhile. Checked the reserve and it was empty. Took it to the dealership to have it looked at and the water pump was leaking. All fixed and better now.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 11-28-2014, 01:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been playing this smell thing for a while now. Had into the dealer twice and they can see the reservoir is empty but can't find anything wrong. They refilled it and told me to keep an eye on it to see if there was any special about the fluid going down.

I think the engine is leaking it internally, but they have it noted in case something comes up later.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DadsCJ
Been playing this smell thing for a while now. Had into the dealer twice and they can see the reservoir is empty but can't find anything wrong. They refilled it and told me to keep an eye on it to see if there was any special about the fluid going down. I think the engine is leaking it internally, but they have it noted in case something comes up later.
Have them check the water pump for sure. Same thing mine was doing.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 14 JKUR is doing this too. Been smelling it for about two months. Rad is full but bottle is empty. I topped it up last night and will keep an eye on it.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My water pump went out at 40k. I developed a tiny leak in my radiator at 70k which was fixed with one of those drop in pellets. Temp sensor went out at 80k. OEM sensor is plastic so I bought the metal one. Installed a heavy duty cap while I was at it.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

My 07JKU w/140k m on it started with the waterpump. Then the lower intake manifold leak in a real inconspicuous spot so I didn't realize it until it got real bad and was creating lots of smoke one day as it was leaking on to my exhaust manifold. I was almost relieved since I couldn't see it leaking from the waterpump after the 3rd gasket but knew I was loosing coolant and smelled it all the time.

Now that I have that fixed and am still smelling coolant I thought it might be a head gasket until reading someone's post about a radiator cap. Crossing my fingers that's all it is! Currently Not loosing a lot of coolant at all but still smell it!

Quick Reply: Coolant smell!