Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cquartz paint coating

Old 05-22-2016, 03:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cquartz paint coating

So I got curious and bored over the weekend and purchased CarPro cQuartz paint coating for my 16 jku. I've called around in the last few weeks and most detail shops wanted 900-1800$ for the entire jeep including wheels. Kind of crazy if u ask me, being its a jeep not a exotic custom car. So I did some research and decided to try it myself. A few friends had also recently used it on a 16 mustang and a full size 16 Chevy Silverado, and both have been raving about it.

The benefit and purpose of this is for paint protection and simplicity of cleaning. The actual product forms a microscopic layer over the clearcoat to block water, dirt,tar, basically all the crap that loves to stick to the paint. And based on this it should help with mud also. Many videos demonstrate how water just simply rolls off and a quick wipe of a sham my makes the paint bone dry and back to freshly washed shine. The videos I have seen say u can polish and do paint corrections then coat over top but being my jeep was new and I sealed n waxed it beyond belief I simply washed with Dawn dish detergent 2x and went into applying.

Application was not too difficult, just a case of prep work. Washing with Dawn to remove all previous wax and sealants, drying, and wiping each panel with a alcohol water mixture before applying. The actual cQuartz is applied with small suede patches and a foam applicator pad. Simply wet the patch and wipe on using smooth strokes and making sure to coat the entire area, I went across then up and down. Trick is to make sure the applicator stay wet and everything gets a equal coat. Then simply " depending on temp and sun"give it a min or 2 and gently use suede micro fiber and wipe off, if it's in too long it gets hard to wipe off and u need to really buff at it. But it was simple enough to do with a friend and some beers. After that u must let sit for an hour to completely setup and cure and "try" not to get wet for 24hours. I was told if it gets wet after a few hours just be sure to wipe dry so no water spots get in there while it cures. I was able to do all panels,good and grill and let sit for @16 hours before it rained Saturday and it's amazing so far. Yes I have wiped down a few times when the rain has stopped but nothing ADHD like. No marks no issues with the rain. Gonna do all door jambs and small areas hopefully today, weather depending. It's amazing that people charge so much for this service when it really is so simple to do, only way I see it being a pain is if ur jeep needs paint correction from swirls or scratches. But if your paint is in good condition, go for it.

Just wanted to share this with all of you, some may find it helpful in keeping their jeep clean. And possibly if it works right, make getting mud and stuff off easier. I literally watched my friend blow off a huge glob of birdshit from his hood, it actually just blew off, no marks or residue. I will repost after doing wheels and everything else and follow up with how it works in the future. Ty for reading. And look up videos for CarPro cQuartz coating for more information. There are other company's whom make and sell, but that's the one I used.

Btw I ordered this off of amazon for 60$ and still have just under half a bottle left, which I plan on putting a second coat on hood, grill and fenders since they take most abuse. To me it's a no brainier for 60$ to get paint protection like this.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long does it last before needing redone or does it not wear off like a wax?
Old 05-22-2016, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
How long does it last before needing redone or does it not wear off like a wax?
from everything I've seen and read it says @2-2 1/2 years depending
Old 05-22-2016, 04:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Avrgmike
from everything I've seen and read it says @2-2 1/2 years depending
Oh wow. I'm gonna have to check it out. From the process you described I was assuming maybe a couple months.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:13 AM
JK Super Freak

You installed Cquartz, was the quotes you received for Cquartz finest?
Old 05-22-2016, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
You installed Cquartz, was the quotes you received for Cquartz finest?
tbh I didn't ask if it was the regular or finest. Regardless wasn't spending money like that for someone to do it. I mean it wasn't really that tedious or hard. I know most is due to the labor an all but still. Wheels r gonna be the hardest part, well time wise. But not having to worry about scrubbing it wiping will be worth it
Old 05-22-2016, 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Avrgmike
tbh I didn't ask if it was the regular or finest. Regardless wasn't spending money like that for someone to do it. I mean it wasn't really that tedious or hard. I know most is due to the labor an all but still. Wheels r gonna be the hardest part, well time wise. But not having to worry about scrubbing it wiping will be worth it
No doubt. After doing some research it seems it usually runs between 800-1200 max with 800-1000 being the most common. I will say given the amount of work it takes to "do it right" by Cquartz standards the price isn't as much as I'd expect. It seems they put major detail into making the paint perfect, even checking with a "special" light that reveals flaws. It would definitely be nice to have if you have a classic car or something. Unfortunately my jeeps paint is too far gone for even doing it myself. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Cquartz paint coating