Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cross Country Drive -- Tips

Old 02-15-2013, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross Country Drive -- Tips

My girlfriend and I are planning on taking a month this summer to tour these great United States in my stock 2009 JKU Sahara. Apart from the requisite service for such a road trip, what other things should I be thinking about regarding my Jeep and this ride?

1. Purchasing/installing soft top -- new-to-me came with hard top. Getting the softie put on next month (OEM soft top from dealership)
2. Compile emergency tool kit
a. first aid kit
b. fire extinguisher
c. what else?
3. Other thoughts?

If anyone else has made such a venture, let me know!

Planned route:
Washington DC to Chicago to Milwaukee to Minneapolis to Mt. Rushmore to Denver to Salt Lake City to Reno to San Francisco to Los Angeles to Las Vegas to Grand Canyon to Albuquerque to Dallas to New Orleans to Atlanta to Charlotte to VA Beach to DC.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by idorian1650
My girlfriend and I are planning on taking a month this summer to tour these great United States in my stock 2009 JKU Sahara. Apart from the requisite service for such a road trip, what other things should I be thinking about regarding my Jeep and this ride?

1. Purchasing/installing soft top -- new-to-me came with hard top. Getting the softie put on next month (OEM soft top from dealership)
2. Compile emergency tool kit
a. first aid kit
b. fire extinguisher
c. what else?
3. Other thoughts?

If anyone else has made such a venture, let me know!

Planned route:
Washington DC to Chicago to Milwaukee to Minneapolis to Mt. Rushmore to Denver to Salt Lake City to Reno to San Francisco to Los Angeles to Las Vegas to Grand Canyon to Albuquerque to Dallas to New Orleans to Atlanta to Charlotte to VA Beach to DC.
For a long road trip, you may actually be happier with the hard top. My soft top doesn't bother me, but the pressure changes on the highway bother my girl's ears on long trips.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by darkhelmet

For a long road trip, you may actually be happier with the hard top. My soft top doesn't bother me, but the pressure changes on the highway bother my girl's ears on long trips.
I agree. Not only does it insulate better, but it is quieter, and more importantly, more secure. Soft tops are an easy target for thieves.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idorian1650

Planned route:
I would also stick with a hardtop or you wont make it past the first two cities with any of your things. You might also want to remove the rear seats if it is going to just be the two of you as that will add a bunch of storage space. Plus man add some offroad destinations. You are going all over and could easily stop at some great places to wheel.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 PM
JK Freak

We only went to Montana on a camping trip a few summers ago. We took out the rear seat, and crammed all of our gear in the back. The soft top was a pain in the but, opening the rear so many times on the soft top was not fun after awhile. Security was not an issue for us (that time)
Are you planning on camping the whole way? Or hoteling.
We have since bought a cargo trailer, and that is so much better to travel with.
Have a fun trip.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I have made long trips in soft top jeep I usually take a backpack that I can put my electronic stuff in ipad,GPS , and other stuff I don't want stolen when I stop for food or gas. Part of the fun is riding top down as much as possible. If I had to run a hard top I would drive something better suited than a jeep. Where is the fun in that.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get an ARB fridge!

Also, sometimes the worst can happen and you hafta abandon your vehicle for repairs or whatever. I carry a couple big duffel bags for my stuff in case I must move out of the vehicle temporarily.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rvator
When I have made long trips in soft top jeep I usually take a backpack that I can put my electronic stuff in ipad,GPS , and other stuff I don't want stolen when I stop for food or gas.
Great idea!

Part of the fun is riding top down as much as possible. If I had to run a hard top I would drive something better suited than a jeep. Where is the fun in that.
Even with the top on, I'd rather be driving the Jeep!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Get a gas club card, like Flying J, or Travel Plaza. It will save you money on long trips like yours, and most of them are free to join. The refer is a great Idea also, it will save you lots of money to make your own lunches or breakfasts, fast food and resturants get really old fast, plus the cold drinks while on the road are nice. Dumping water out of the cooler and refilling with 3 dollar bags of ice gets old. have a couple of good flashlights, once out of the citys and urban areas it gets really dark at night if your on the side of the road. take lots of photos! and dont forget to wave
Old 02-16-2013, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Easy access shorts for road head. Last thing you want to have happen is struggling to undo a button fly or belt and lose the moment.

Quick Reply: Cross Country Drive -- Tips