Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Curtains for Camping!

Old 11-17-2007, 12:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Curtains for Camping!

I have had my Sahara for a little over a month now, I LOVE IT! I just found something out today. I am 6' 3" 245 lbs, but managed to lay down in the back with room to spare. I'm going to check measurements, but its possible that a twin size air mattress may fit. Nevertheless, this is a great alternative to a tent. I am thinking about taking the hard top camping since it can come off in minutes and can be stored at the campsite along with the doors while I go play.

As for night, I would like to Install some Curtains, perhaps window covers is a better term. lol.

Has anyone done this and do they have the measurements? I don't want to re-invent the wheel if someone has already tackled this task.
The last thing I want is the sun shining through the windshield at 6:00 am after a long night of drinking. I also think there is enough room for two, which means a little privacy might go a long ways. Hey look, that Jeep has hydraulics.

Called Dealer 10/9/07, drove 4 hours from Fresno down to Buerge Motors in West L.A. to pick up on 10/10/07, Climbed first mountain on 10/18/07.
Photos & a link to Video of Shuteye Lookout in the Sierra Nevada's.
***** http://www.flickr.com/photos/1694116...14692119/show/ *****

Last edited by Fearney; 11-17-2007 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Got to love those typos...
Old 11-17-2007, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curtains would work great. Velcro will hold them in place. I have tinted glass so I personally don't need curtains.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

i am thinking some dollar store sheets and velcro. Just cut them to desired length the put holes near the edge so you can put velcro straps through the hole and around the roll bars
Old 11-17-2007, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Fearney
perhaps window covers is a better term. lol.
Definately! And the Velcro is a great idea.

Originally Posted by Fearney
I also think there is enough room for two, which means a little privacy might go a long ways. Hey look, that Jeep has hydraulics.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, you might wanna think about going with stiffer springs in the rear for those "special nights"
Old 11-17-2007, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

haha....well if you dont wanna pussify the jeep...i would just hang up whatever you got lying in the car...clothes mainly? haha close the window on the top part of them and it should be good!
Old 11-17-2007, 07:57 AM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

I have also been sleeping many nights in my JK, when on safari. Yes there is enough room for two also as you are planning i have noticed. I am also 6´3" and plenty of room for me and my gear. I just leave long and oversized things like my shovel, hi-lift, chainsaw, extra fuel etc outside of vehicle when making my bedroll and matress for a night.
As for covering myself of earlymorning light, i just use kind of an canopy with strings that is covering my upper body and high enough to give room to breathe, using thick black tight wowen canvas type material. It´s like having your upper body in a miniscule tent if you understand what i am tryin to explain.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BigJerm
i am thinking some dollar store sheets and velcro. Just cut them to desired length the put holes near the edge so you can put velcro straps through the hole and around the roll bars
I am only 6'1 but I think this idea has alot of merit!!!
Old 11-17-2007, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Great Ideas!

Great Ideas! Keep 'em coming!

The privacy glass is cool for peeping toms but as for the sun, well, hangovers suck. I've determined that black felt and velcro will probably be the best idea. I've searched and found that I can use white velcro on the white parts and black velcro on the blue parts.

Does anyone know the difference between the industrial grade velcro and the automotive line?

I imagine that I can get some felt (or the like) "down at the Wal-Mart" or maybe cover my face and go into JoAnns Fabrics.

I am also very anal about the way things look and inherited the "If your going to do something then do it right the first time" gene from my father. You should see my SeaEagle (Inflatable motormount boat) mods. (Very nice product if someone is looking for a cheap and convenient way to get on the water; I like!)

Tomorrow we are heading up to an old ghost town with a 4x4 trail close by in Central California's Coastal Range.

Last edited by Fearney; 11-17-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:23 PM
JK Super Freak

I have laid down horizontally as well but not slept per-say in the back of my jeep
i have a curtain (flannel blanket held up by velcro along the speaker bar and it runs from pass side to driverside along the back of the seat or it can go ahead on to the seats for a more roomier feel and it runs between the front and back doors so the back is tinted and u can't see through the front to where i'm layin down. i would like to find a mattress to fit back there as well perhaps a foam one that can be rolled up.
I really like the back of my jeep, so does my girl friend she always wants it tidy back there.

Also when doin guard duty (part time job to pay for jeep mods i use the blanket to separate the cabin and makes it cozier and a smaller area to warm up during those cool nights.

Quick Reply: Curtains for Camping!