Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

cylinder head - Poor Service

Old 06-24-2013, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cylinder head - Poor Service

I purchased a 2012 wrangler in the first part of 2012. today the engine light came on. I took the vehicle into the shop. The vehicle is obviously still under warranty. The dealership stated that the issue was a cylinder head that needed to be replaced. upon further research I discovered that many were having this same issue. As it turns out the part is backordered and a delivery date/installation date cannot be determined. The dealership also stated that they would not recommend that I drive the vehicle.

The root of the issue is the car/engine itself. Jeep appears to be at least somewhat ignoring the problem. The other issue is that this couldn't have happened at a worse time. I am moving at the end of the week. I cannot delay my move for 3 or 4 weeks because of jeep. Jeep is also not willing to assist with a rental car because I am "crossing state lines" they also will not ship my jeep to a dealership where I am moving.

the way I would put it, what would happen to you if you had this problem on vacation?

This is likely last of many chrysler products I will own. Anyone know a good lemon law lawyer or someone who has experience dealing with automakers? Oh and I wouldnt buy from go west jeep in denver either. not very helpful.

You will probably see this on other jeep forums. I want to get the word out on this BS
Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

Sorry to hear what is going down. I would definitely push the issue not sure what or how but anything is worth trying. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry to hear you have the head problem also. My rig is at the dealer right now getting the head replaced. Took it in, the dealer ordered the parts and will be finished tomorrow. It will not hurt the engine to drive it, at least that's what my dealer told me. Also, they would give me a rental car if I needed one. I would take it to another dealer, it seems like this dealer is jerking you around.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had really good service at centennial jeep last week. I would call around maybe Colorado Jeep Chrysler in aurora can help you out, they are one of the biggest in our area. One of them might have the heads in stock because of the known issues. But you are the first one I've heard about in the Denver area with the head problem.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

The dealer is jerking you around. I had the head replaced on mine at my dealer with no problem. Move to your new place and then get it fixed.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using JK-Forum
Old 06-25-2013, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't had this issue yet, but I expect it could rear its ugly head at any time since I have a build date of 3/12.

I, too, have been through the woes of trying to amicably resolve warranty repairs. Not fun.

Last edited by jk_sea; 06-25-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by f63457
As it turns out the part is backordered and a delivery date/installation date cannot be determined. The dealership also stated that they would not recommend that I drive the vehicle.
I drove my 2012 Unlimited Rubicon for 6 months before I even bothered bringing it in for service for various reasons.. It won't do one bit of harm to drive the Jeep. I put 9,000 miles on mine with the chip light on and when I finally got done with my Jeep vacations and trips out of the country I brought it in, told them chip light has been coming on for 6 months and I was tired of resetting the computer and to please swap out the head. They said they didn't have any heads in stock but there were some in the warehouse in Dallas and they would have one sent the next day. They went ahead and tore my old head out and the new head arrived the next day and they installed it. I was without my Jeep for less than 3 days....
Old 06-26-2013, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

my dealer told me the exact opposite, which is i can drive it without a problem. I drove it for a week and a half until the parts came in.

Quick Reply: cylinder head - Poor Service