Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

dammaged wheels

Old 11-26-2012, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dammaged wheels

Has anyone had any experience with Discount Tire damaging wheels installing new tires and what they typically do about it? I had 35" KM2s mounted on stock Rubi wheels this weekend and just noticed that every clip on weight damaged the rim (yes I asked them not to use clip on weights). They basically pinched off a piece of metal (1/8") for each and every weight. I called and they said that its normal for clip on weights to damage the wheel. I call BS as Ive never seen this type of damage before. I will be taking the jeep into them next monday when Im back in town to show them the damage and hope they will have changed their mind about it being normal.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

A chip in the metal is not normal. But if it is a chip in the clear coat, that is normal. The clip-on weight is the best balance you are going to get, especially with 35s
Old 11-26-2012, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Not cool! I work at a shop and have personally mounted many sets of tires. No rim should be damaged if they used the correct style weight. They come in different profile shapes to fit the rim flange. A careless tire tech is most likely to blame though. Our shop has had to buy a customer a rim more than once.....then fire the tech!
I run 35's on my JKUR, but use Dyna Beads.....no external weights for me!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lphsl
Has anyone had any experience with Discount Tire damaging wheels installing new tires and what they typically do about it? I had 35" KM2s mounted on stock Rubi wheels this weekend and just noticed that every clip on weight damaged the rim (yes I asked them not to use clip on weights). They basically pinched off a piece of metal (1/8") for each and every weight. I called and they said that its normal for clip on weights to damage the wheel. I call BS as Ive never seen this type of damage before. I will be taking the jeep into them next monday when Im back in town to show them the damage and hope they will have changed their mind about it being normal.
I was a manager with DTC for 7 years, your not happy, they will make it right. may have to push the issue to the manager or his VP, but if you asked not to use clip on weights, they should not have. but can tell you you will not get a good balance on large tires with tape weights on back of the wheel.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If all else fails, make a comp claim with your insurance company. They will go after the damaging company like a mad dog....

Quick Reply: dammaged wheels