Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealer Fees - Vehicle in Transit

Old 04-26-2013, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Fees - Vehicle in Transit

My local Jeep dealer has a Wrangler Unlimited in transit that is scheduled to arrive late next week. I have been negotiating a price for the better part of two weeks & they have offered to sell at $500 below dealer cost - which they have sent me the dealer order sheet showing MSRP & Dealer Cost totals. I am happy happy with that price but they want to tack on $895 in "DEALER FEES." I have purchased from them as recently as 2010 and the "DEALER FEES" were $295 - which was reasonable.

Am I wrong to think this fee is excessively high or is the deal reasonable.

MSRP $ 32,885
Dealer Cost $ 31,540
Offered at $31,040 - have a $500 cash allowance coupon but with the dealer fee bottom line is at $31,435 & doesn't seem like such a GREAT DEAL.

Any comments or input would be most helpful.

THANKS
Old 04-26-2013, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PurduePete
My local Jeep dealer has a Wrangler Unlimited in transit that is scheduled to arrive late next week. I have been negotiating a price for the better part of two weeks & they have offered to sell at $500 below dealer cost - which they have sent me the dealer order sheet showing MSRP & Dealer Cost totals. I am happy happy with that price but they want to tack on $895 in "DEALER FEES." I have purchased from them as recently as 2010 and the "DEALER FEES" were $295 - which was reasonable.

MSRP $ 32,885
Dealer Cost $ 31,540
Offered at $31,040 - have a $500 cash allowance coupon but with the dealer fee bottom line is at $31,435 & doesn't seem like such a GREAT DEAL.

THANKS
What is this dealer sheet you speak of? Dealers will always have holdback and incentives but do you have a price order confirmation sheet. You can go to edmunds true car and see real pricing.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

"Dealer cost" isn't a thing. The standard price sheet shows (highest to lowest) msrp, invoice price, friends and family price (1% under invoice which you can get with a tread lightly membership), and employee price.

Of course you will have tax, title, lisence plate fee, etc.. on top of that.

Fyi, the dealership won't sell cars at a loss. They have to keep the lights on and pay the employees somehow. The tread lightly deal is the easiest and no hassle way to get a good price. If you don't value you time you can drive 200 miles and visit 20 dealerships to maybe save $500.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

MSRP $ 32,885
Dealer Cost $ 31,540

THANKS

Appreciate the input.

True Market Value for my area per Edmunds is at $ 30,958
Dealer has dropped price another $500 to $30,540 if I close deal by April 30.

As noted not my intent to drive around area for several days to save a couple of hundred bucks.
Make the DEAL ?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fee is way too high and they r not giving you that great a deal. The price you listed as "dealer cost" is actually invoice which is a lot higher than cost. You should try to get it for at least 1% less than that price plus your $500 off. And there should not be a dealer fee. If they won't waive that fee you should try a diff dealer
Old 04-27-2013, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PurduePete

MSRP $ 32,885
Dealer Cost $ 31,540

THANKS
Doesn't seem like a great deal. There is no such thing as Dealer Fees. Yes, they will not sell a car for a loss (rarely). They do need to pay expenses obviously. But this deal doesn't seem aggressive at all. They can pad numbers all day with silly fees. One Jeep dealership I went to once charged $88 for nitrogen in tires. I got up. Walked out while laughing at the sales guy. I never returned their calls.

Bottom line... I recently bought two new Jeeps. A 2010 JKU Sahara and a 2012 JKU Rubicon. I got a MINIMUM of 9% of MSRP. Im not an employee or Treadlightly member. Both from different dealerships. With very little effort. This obviously didn't include taxes, tags, and registration. Those are fixed costs from state and DMV.

PM me. I'd be happy to share numbers to help
A fellow Jeeper get a new Jeep.

Last edited by oriffx; 04-27-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JerseyMark
The fee is way too high and they r not giving you that great a deal. The price you listed as "dealer cost" is actually invoice which is a lot higher than cost. You should try to get it for at least 1% less than that price plus your $500 off. And there should not be a dealer fee. If they won't waive that fee you should try a diff dealer
You are correct - the Dealer Invoice is listed at $31,540.
1% below that would be $31,225 - The initial offer at 31,040 is 1.6% below Dealer Invoice.
Subtract the $500 cash bonus & price is 3.2% below the Dealer Invoice.

As for the dealer fee, I called around & all others charge - some list on purchasing agreement as "PROCESSING FEES" others list as "DEALER FEES" - but price varies from $750 & up.

Thanks again
Old 04-27-2013, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have them explain "dealer fee". Is it tax, state fees, registration costs, etc..

I live in pa, it was like $18 to transfer my lisence plate. That was the only fee I paid. If you don't know what your paying for, your probally getting screwed.

Quick Reply: Dealer Fees - Vehicle in Transit