Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealer modified jeeps

Old 10-15-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer modified jeeps

Good idea or bad idea to buy a new Jeep already modified by the dealer? Seems like a good idea if you don't have the time or extra cash to do it yourself. Especially if the dealer warranties the parts which this dealership does that has a Jeep that I'm interested in. They are asking $36,148.00 and saying it has $8,995.00 worth of aftermarket parts.

2013 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport
Auto
Uconnect
3.73 gears
Alpine system with sirius
3 Inch lift (lifetime Warranty)
35 Inch Tires
17 Inch Wheels
Mud Mats
Black Side Steps
Grab Handles

Old 10-15-2012, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a 3" lift, 35s, billstein 5100, lod front, winch with syn line, lod sliders mud mats, 20" light bar, wheels for a total of $3300. So whats the labor and watranty worth to you? I have never had a watrranty issue with my dealer, but others have

Last edited by mattgt5; 10-15-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's good for lots who can't do the work or who want the look and don't have cash after buying it, so they can finance it. There's maybe $4000 in extras there - rims/tires/lift. That's it really, the other stuff just doesn't count as aftermarket parts that are beneficial to 4x4ing. Grab handles are $40 or so and side steps are usually $200 and sometimes free at dealers if they 'move' parts around.

One of the local dealers here has a ton of new Jeeps with rims/tires, lifts, snokels and so on. Funny thing is they have stock height Jeeps stuffing 35s in and I doubt they'll tell anybody they shouldn't take it offroad like that cause it could damage the fenders and since people lack any common sense these days they'll do it

The price seems about right for a new Rubi with upgrades, but prices vary so much these days depending on your location.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Modified

Originally Posted by Justinss
Good idea or bad idea to buy a new Jeep already modified by the dealer? Seems like a good idea if you don't have the time or extra cash to do it yourself. Especially if the dealer warranties the parts which this dealership does that has a Jeep that I'm interested in. They are asking $36,148.00 and saying it has $8,995.00 worth of aftermarket parts.

Auto
Uconnect
3.73 gears
35 Inch Tires
17 Inch Wheels
Mud Mats
Black Side Steps
Grab Handles

Its a great idea to buy it already modified, wish I did. The cost is a fraction to what it costs to get it later on and installed
Old 10-15-2012, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know what state your in but, In Arizona, particularly Tucson, the jeeps with 35's on them leave the lot with bad speedos! I asked about my dealer recalibrating mine after putting 35's on it and this is what was said "Can you guys recalibrate the speedometer for larger tires?, Yes we can, How much? $60, Oh ok well I have 35's now, We only calibrate up to stock tire sizes like the Rubicon is the biggest, But don't you sell jeeps with 35's on them?, Yes we do, how is that calibrated then? well Rubicon tires aren't that much smaller so its no big deal, So these BRAND NEW vehicles are leaving the lot with BAD speedometers?, I didn't say that!" I was like are you frickin kidding me!!!!

So just food for thought, I know it wasn't really your question but..........
Old 10-15-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by Justinss

Auto
Uconnect
3.73 gears
35 Inch Tires
17 Inch Wheels
Mud Mats
Black Side Steps
Grab Handles

Is this what you want,then get it.Do you plan more upgrades later on or will you find this set-up is not working for you,then maybe buy stock and build your own
Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

At your own risk...

I thought it would be easier for me to just get one with a lift and tires already on there to save myself the hassle, just created a bigger hassle dealing with the service department... speed'o is still off, they calibrated to 33" tires and said sorry it's the best we can do... my arguement was "if you are going to sell them this way, you should at least be able to support them" they just shrugged thier shoulders

Letter to the general manager, letter to BBB, letter to Chrysler might help... but at this point

it's an ongoing battle...
Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BackNBlackTJ
At your own risk...

I thought it would be easier for me to just get one with a lift and tires already on there to save myself the hassle, just created a bigger hassle dealing with the service department... speed'o is still off, they calibrated to 33" tires and said sorry it's the best we can do... my arguement was "if you are going to sell them this way, you should at least be able to support them" they just shrugged thier shoulders

Letter to the general manager, letter to BBB, letter to Chrysler might help... but at this point

it's an ongoing battle...
Unbelievable isn't it? And how they don't disclose that? If you get a ticket it should be on them right?!?!?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

They are asking way too much!! Take a good look at what brand of lift and shocks it has. Some of the Mopar full arm lifts with Fox reserivoir shocks can be big money, but the dealer could have installed a simple budget boost lift that cost them under 500$. If you have the money or just want to finance the extras, go for it, but there are better deals out there. I bought a year old rubi 4 door with 5,000 miles for 31k. There are also a couple how-to's on this site that could walk you through a lift install. I would buy stock and build it the way you want it to look!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Junkie

36k is too much for a Sport. You can buy a 2012 Rubi for that much and add lift and tires. Then you'll be a step ahead.

If you don't get overcharged, then dealer installed items can be great. But PLEASE don't be like my neighbor and buy a Jeep $15k overprice for $2k wheels and tires and a $499 lift and HEAVY 35x12.5x20 Nitto Mud Grappler with Rockstar rim on stock spare tire carrier.

Last edited by Delux2769; 10-15-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Dealer modified jeeps