Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dealer reports to car fax, insurance obtains info

Old 07-12-2013, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer reports to car fax, insurance obtains info

So I am livid. I'm not a wacko, but electronic privacy is pretty serious to me, as I fe it should be to all.

So I get a call from my insurance agent. They stated that my recent carfax registered XXXX miles on my vehicle and they felt I was driving too much. I took the jeep in for an oil change at a dealer last month and they reported the info to carfax, which was magically obtained by my insurance company, who now wants to raise my rate. What?

So if I take my car to the body shop to get the fenders painted is it going to show up as "body work" and my insurance is going to assume I had an accident? I can't believe I don't have to agree to the Chrysler dealer allowing my vehicle info to be obtained by my insurance provider. I get if there is a wreck or water damage, but sending my odometer and condition every time I change the oil? This is California... How long before the state starts using that to obtain your driving patterns and taxing you on usage?

Getting new insurance and never going to a dealer for anything again (in out of warranty). Ridiculous. Sorry, just ranting.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

Have you re read your policy to see if that's in there some how
Old 07-12-2013, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I understand your rant, and I agree, it's a bit ridiculous. A business, Carfax, that was once set up in the interest of consumer and dealer protection (you don't want to buy a vehicle with misrepresentations, a dealer doesn't want your vehicle with misrepresentations) --has now become a bit of a hassle and another set of information that you as "the owner" have to manage.

There is a point to be made...the information should be accurate. Often it isn't. Managing that to protect your car's value is a hassle. If Jiffy Lube mis-keys your mileage at 25,000, and it's actually 35,000, and the Chrysler Dealership changed it at 30,000, suddenly there's an odometer rollback concern on your Carfax report. Getting that straightened out isn't easy.

There is also a point to be made about the freedom of information. If you are misrepresenting to your insurance company how many miles you actually drive in a year, but tell them you drive much less in the interest of paying less premium, then they should be able to protect their interests as well, and charge you for what you actually drive.

FYI-- Progressive and some other insurers already have driver-tracking programs. Progressive's is known as "Snapshot." It's a device that plugs into your OBDII port and tracks your driving habits and information about the vehicle, and it is sent to Progressive. For instance, if you own a Chevy Camaro and you love to punch it up to 130mph on the interstate, and you are a "Snapshot" customer, there's now a reason to really increase your risk premium. It's like having Big Brother sitting in your passenger seat with a notepad and pen, watching your driving.

It all sucks buddy...
Old 07-12-2013, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is California... How long before the state starts using that to obtain your driving patterns and taxing you on usage?

I hope it stays out of Texas. Im putting on my C.A.R.B approved tinfoil hat now>
Old 07-12-2013, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Apparently I have 1100 more miles on the jeep than they feel I should have at this point in the year. They asked how many miles I drive a year, and I drive more in the spring than winter. If their computer was already going to show them, why even ask me? I have been a State Farm customer for 15-odd years. They just lost me.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

I know in ny the state records your mileage when u get it inspected. Are you sure the dealer called carfax? I had the same thing happen to me. I drive too much.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely sucks. Are you real happy with insurance otherwise? If not I'd go shopping for someone else.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Swillbilly
How long before the state starts using that to obtain your driving patterns and taxing you on usage?

Not long, sadly. Only thing stopping some states is the up front expense.

What did they expect for you to have on your odometer? 1100 miles over 6 months seems insignificant.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by skippyrock
I know in ny the state records your mileage when u get it inspected. Are you sure the dealer called carfax? I had the same thing happen to me. I drive too much.
Yes. The agent stated the date and dealer location that the service was performed and the info was collected.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pwain

Not long, sadly. Only thing stopping some states is the up front expense.

What did they expect for you to have on your odometer? 1100 miles over 6 months seems insignificant.
I don't know. I told them I drive 12-14,000 miles a year, which is completely accurate. A lot of that is front-loaded in the spring and summer months, but not extremely so. We also just moved so of course we had a slight burst in mileage, but in the end of the 12 month term, we will have driven LESS than 12,000 miles. If they suddenly want daily reports and wish to fluctuate fees based on that, well then....they can go...

Quick Reply: Dealer reports to car fax, insurance obtains info