Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

dealership forgot lug nuts, wheel fell off

Old 10-17-2012, 10:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealership forgot lug nuts, wheel fell off

so last week i took my 07 X up for an oil change and tire rotation to keep up my warranty. As i was leaving the shop i was driving down rt 202, as i was making a right turn onto rt 1 my left rear wheel completly falls off. The whole jeep crashed to the ground and skidded about 20ft. luckily i was only going 20mph. the wheel was messed up so i ordered a new one and brought it to the dealership. as of right now they are installing the new wheel and doing an alignment. do you guys think they should have replaced the whole axle and control arms and what do you think could have happened to the jeep with it falleing on the shock mount which is apparently what it was skidding on. and the whole accident happened because they forgot to put on the lugnuts, should i ask for a whole new axle or is that to much

EDIT: i am not paying for the new wheel and repairs they are

Last edited by dillUSMC; 10-21-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:00 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by dillUSMC
so last week i took my 07 X up for an oil change and tire rotation to keep up my warranty. As i was leaving the shop i was driving down rt 202, as i was making a right turn onto rt 1 my left rear wheel completly falls off. The whole jeep crashed to the ground and skidded about 20ft. luckily i was only going 20mph. the wheel was messed up so i ordered a new one and brought it to the dealership. as of right now they are installing the new wheel and doing an alignment. do you guys think they should have replaced the whole axle and control arms and what do you think could have happened to the jeep with it falleing on the shock mount which is apparently what it was skidding on. and the whole accident happened because they forgot to put on the lugnuts, should i ask for a whole new axle or is that to much
They worked on it last,make them pay
Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 AM
JK Junkie

I'd say you could need a new brake rotor if that's what made contact with the ground. If your rotor got messed up, make them replace that and the brake pads, and check the brake lines, they're quite "fragile" and pretty useful to have in perfect condition.

Axle, that won't be hurt. Same with the control arms. Now, if a control arm mount (axle side) has been bent from the sudden crash to the ground, that MIGHT be grounds for a new factory axle housing.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd take a real good look at the brake rotor.

Also make sure the axle shaft is not bent. It took the impact when the rotor hit the pavement. The axle housing should be OK.

This is just lazy incompetence on the part of the shop. It only takes a few seconds for the mechanic to check his/her work on that job.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Why are you paying to fix it? Make three shop that did the work pay to get it fixed and for a rental. The shop is insured exactly for this reason.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-17-2012, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

I'd report it to my auto insurance for safety sake, it was basically a one vehicle accident. There's no way it wouldn't get fixed correctly then! I'm sure they would go after the dealer so you wouldn't be fighting them all by yourself.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

They need to replace anything that was damaged due to their mistake
Old 10-17-2012, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I"m confused on why it was skidding on the shock mount. Shouldn't it have landed on the brake rotor?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is ridiculous at best and Chrysler still can't figure out why dealerships are hated????? One thing I would keep an eye on is the unit bearing because they don't like to take hits like that and I'd say it will need replaced even if its fine now give it a month and ill bet it goes bad, but they had better pay for everything on it cause we all know they will try to get out of it!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks... be sure to check all your components. Ask them to put something in writing that they will handle any future axle issues (on that side).

Quick Reply: dealership forgot lug nuts, wheel fell off