Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Death Wobble??

Old 10-11-2012, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble??

Just wondering how many JKs have had death wobble after the owner tried to fix it without ever experiencing it? Also do you think you might have caused it?
Old 10-11-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B_Hall
Just wondering how many JKs have had death wobble after the owner tried to fix it without ever experiencing it? Also do you think you might have caused it?
I caused mine with lift. Adj track bar fixed.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by k0260

X2 on that! And I had unbalanced tires
Old 10-11-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks y'all!! What size is your lifts? I am putting on the TeraFlex 2.5" coil lift this weekend and am a little nervous!

Also I am wondering if anyone caused it by doing preventive measures like the grade 8 bolt kit or something else? Thanks!!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm running the Rough Country 2.5"in. suspension lift w/ 1.25"in. bodylift, sitting on 35's.. It's been about 6 months & no problems yet.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

I would bet that death wobble is more correlated to wheel offset than lift. Think about it, if you push the wheels and tires out more, you're increasing the track width beyond what Chrysler deigned the front-end to handle. It's already ridiculously wide on a solid axle, so increasing the width just increases trouble. It's what makes me nervous about new wheels and tires, or adding spacers to my stock wheels.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 3" lift and 35's with good back spacing (tires poke out of the stock fenders by about 2") and everything was great until I smashed my steering stabilizer on some ruts. The stock stabilizer is pretty pathetic, I'm waiting for my superlift stabilizer that relocates up higher. I wonder how many death wobbles are caused by worn out/damaged steering stabilizers.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k0260
X3 - I loosened and retorqued all track bar FCA bolts and it has never done it since.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:38 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4-Lo
I would bet that death wobble is more correlated to wheel offset than lift. Think about it, if you push the wheels and tires out more, you're increasing the track width beyond what Chrysler deigned the front-end to handle. It's already ridiculously wide on a solid axle, so increasing the width just increases trouble. It's what makes me nervous about new wheels and tires, or adding spacers to my stock wheels.
That sounds good in theory. But I have a 2" Mopar lift and with stock wheels and tires started getting DW afterwards. It isn't often, but still happens now and then. Had it checked out numerous times by two shops and no problems were found - I think having the axle farther from the pivot points also contributes greatly to DW.

(Note: Getting improved steering stabilizer has seemed to help reduce it a lot!)
Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a 4" procomp lift put on mine about a year and a half ago. I got DW about 4 months in. Since then I have gone through 3 steering stabilizers (stabilizers aren't the problem by the way, they are only support for the suspension), added adjustable lower control arms, had some other welding and fab work done, track bar relocate and new dropped pitman arm. All this was done because the castor was off the problem is the usually is the castor is moved from center causing the death wobble. Once all this was done I thought I had it fixed because no problems for the last 7-8 months. I'm bringing it back in on Monday because the DW has resurfaced for a fourth time as of this morning(great timing for this thread by the way). I am going to go to 3" coils and hopefully this solves my problem as everyone who I know who has 3" or less has not had any problems (wish my girl agreed with that). Does anybody think this will help or should I just start over with a whole new kit wallet is getting thin

I would suggest paying the money and going with a full short arm or long arm kit, don't skimp with a coil and shock only lift like I started with trying to save $, you will most likely end up spending the big dollars. I could've had a full long arm kit with how much time and money I've now vested.

I have also heard good things about the 2.5" budget boost..good thing about this lift is you don't change the geometry too much and your chances of DW are much less likely.

J-Just
E-empty
E-every
P-pocket

Quick Reply: Death Wobble??