Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Debating a trade for a Rubicon...thoughts?!

Old 07-17-2015, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same payments but for how long? How much is the Rubi costing and how much are u getting for trade in (and how much do you owe on it)? Do you still have all your stock items laying around that you can put back on the Sahara before trading in?
Really, only you can say if it is worth it to do this trade, and only you will know how much modding you will do on a new Rubi if you get one, if you are going to put the same stuff as what you did on the Sahara onto a new Rubi you might want to look for people selling or giving away the OEM parts you need to put on the Sahara, getting what you want for pennies on the dollar. (The cost of a take off bumper - maybe free - to get your aftermarket one off the Sahara instead of buying another $700+ dollar bumper for instance) before you trade it in.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by urmyboyblue

I'm hunting for one...I've seen some folks on eBay who toss them together with whichever gears you want. The locker was going to go into the rear since again, I'm not sure how many rocks I'd see. I'm heading out on vacation for a week or so overseas in August -- may be the perfect time to drop it off and transform it!
If you get a rubi front axle it will have the elocker and I'd just get an Eaton elocker for tge rear. Get an ARB and it's more money in the long run then the Eaton. And honestly the Eaton is a great locker and I think ARB is overrated.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It comes down to how you wheel it, and what kind of money do you want to throw in to it vs if would would rather finance those upgrades. I went from a 2011 sport to a 2015 rubi and am extremely happy. The dealership wanted to finance me a lift and tires ( or course ) but eventually let me keep both jeeps for a week to swap all my parts. The 2 door is my new one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20141212_132150.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	618243   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141206_093420.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	618244   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141221_153515.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	618245  
Old 07-17-2015, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Thanks all for talking me off the ledge. My wife would probably skin me anyway.

There's nothing extreme in Florida...well south Florida to wheel but at the end of the day, I'm looking to expand my vacations to incorporate something more outdoorsy and head west.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a rubi !!! Brother
Old 07-17-2015, 11:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Upgrade what ya got. It'll be cheaper in the short and long term. The only thing special about a Rubicon, IMO, is the 4:1 t-case, I rarely need mine, and I'm sure in South Florida, you'll never need it. Unless Jeep comes out with an Ecodiesel equipped Wrangler.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

To be completely honest with you, if I did it again, I wouldn't buy a rubicon. I'd take the saved price difference and drop in tons and an atlas from the get go. It's going to cost me more in the long run to get what I really want out of this thing.

For moderate wheeling and not going larger than 35-37" tires I'd say a rubicon would be great.

I'm quickly out growing the upgraded "rubicon" parts. Just empty every pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-18-2015, 03:46 AM
JK Newbie

I'm in a similar position. I have a '14 Sahara with no mods. I've been putting money aside for the lift, tires, armor and all that. I wanted a Rubi at the time I was looking (last year), but couldn't do a deal that I liked. I got a good deal on mine though...
Mine is soon to be paid off, and I am seriously considering trading up for a Rubi. I don't wheel hard anywhere, nor do I even want to. It's Florida. The lockers and somewhat better front axle are really all I want. I've looked into aftermarket front axles, lockers, gears and all that. That's still a LOT of money.

If you have the funds, then go for the Rubi - It's what you wanted from the beginning. No shame in that.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Throw some lockers and proper gears in what you have now or pick up some rubi take off's and swap them in. You would be better off. Sound like you have "Rubicon Envy". You can buy the sticker as well.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

Indeed Rubi envy. Dang 37" tires and the cool sticker.

I definitely will keep her. She's hydro blue...love it! Plus I can add the goodies like everyone said...AND let's me get a new bike soon. I miss my Harley. :(

Quick Reply: Debating a trade for a Rubicon...thoughts?!