Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Diesel or 5.7L

Old 07-24-2014, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
That is true with some diesels but my 2008 3.0L doesn't know what season it is. Starts within seconds at -30 c. German built Mercedes engine. It gets cold there
I have to agree, I've started diesel work trucks from the big three in temps as cold as -50 C with no issues. Most of the time they are plugged in but on occasion they aren't but still start with no issues.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
hellcat 6.4L 707 hp....... beat that diesel.......
Easily lol. 700 h.p / 1750 to cummins are pretty average street fair. He'll mine was at 530 / 1170 at the wheels for 10 years and 11k @ that level. HOWEVER the 6bt is a bastard to fit in any jeep (but been done) mbrp rattletrap comes to mind. The 3.9 cummins 4bt is a killer choice as it runs with zero electronics , responds well to twins and supporting fuel mods , goes on for ever , and has just about every heavy duty transmission adapter plate / bell housing combo anyone could imagine. ..... Allison 6 speed comes to mind

With all of that and as far as the grand Cherokee goes, we also have a 14 gc and love it. The 3.6 p-star / 8 speed trans is sick. The hemi sure is nice but the diesel ....... Made me INSTANTLY miss my cummins. Of course it came out AFTER we bought ours. They are pulling high 20s highway as it is sure tough to keep your foot off the fun pedal. Time will tell as mileage racks up on the 3L

Last edited by ToolManTimTaylor; 07-24-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10 years ago , even 5 years ago I would have been on the diesel band wagon, I've had a year older cummins truck and more recently 2 newer 6.7's one manual one auto.

Older diesels (Pre 2008) were great, post 2008 are ok when deleted, all of the DPF and Regen issues to me aren't worth it, please keep in mind both of my new (2012) trucks were still Non-Urea (The last year). I didn't have the best luck with the emissions system(they were factory), when it would regen they would buck, and just not feel right. I had countless O2 sensor issues that could not be remedied (AKA traded in).

I recently bought a 14 JKUR and a motorhome to keep jeeping and moved away from the newer diesels for that reason. Do a quick search on DPF filters and their life expectancy and replacement cost...Ouch....To add fuel to the fire I was in my dealer recently to discuss a purple JKU for my wife and they had a diesel 1500 on the floor, my guy told me their cost on the oil change alone is $140, and that the dealer gets $160 to do it..Ouch Again.

Wheeling here inthe north east you encounter alot of different terrain, and it sometimes requires wheel speed, for that reason, and the reasons above, an all aluminium V8 would suit my needs much better than a diesel.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diesel FTW.

Quick Reply: Diesel or 5.7L