Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Disappointing trip to dealer... they don't have much interest in dealing

Old 11-12-2007, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointing trip to dealer... they don't have much interest in dealing

I drove a 2 door Sahara over the weekend, and really liked it. I probably would have bought on the spot, except the dealer does not seem to be in much of a mood to actually deal on the car. They would not budge off of MSRP, because they are selling so quickly for them. If that didn't end any hope for a good negotiation, they also low-balled me on trade. Offering me initially $1500 below current wholesale auction pricing, and a good $4500 below KBB trade in value.

As much as I liked that Jeep, I cannot see taking it on both ends of the deal to own it either.

They did leave the door open for a better deal by telling me they could make some calls during the week to see if they could sweeten the deal. I am wondering if they had to run anything more by a higher boss or something that wasn't available over the weekend. Or see if any of their other franchises might want the trade at a higher price. They are supposed to get back to me.

So I am still hopeful they will come around with a reasonable deal. However, they are a good $2500 off of where I want to be to make the deal. I am not sure they will find that much, even though I am confident they would still be making a good profit at that level.

So wish me luck!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

forget about them. find another dealership that's willing to deal with you.
you want to look for a dealership that wants to sell you the car.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tommy3rd
+1

I went to 4 dealers. Too many times did the salesmen try to sell themselves rather than the jeep. Or, they simply wouldn't deal.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tommy3rd
x2. And also don't hestitate to go back to the same dealer and try a different salesperson if the dealership is convenient. This also makes it easier to wave a sale in front of the original losing salesperson.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

this late in the game NOBODY should be paying sticker for a car. That is just downright dumb.

Call around and deal with the internet sales manager. Email them what you are looking for and tell them dealership XYZ is offering you one at invoice but you like the Jeep on their lot better. Pit the dealerships against one another.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Keep shopping, you'll get the deal you want!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

went to 5 places to get the monthly payment I wanted. Unfortunately still owed 8k above my trade in's value, so the 6k downpayment helped, but only pne dealer was willing to help get the payment exactly where I wanted, AND got a sirius radio as a bonus .
Old 11-12-2007, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did all of my research on the internet. I was able to locate the vehicle I wanted and found a dealer that would sell it to me at 300 over invoice. I was also able to review their quote and identify their invoice and holdback. Do your homework. It will payoff.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Many dealerships (probably most) are more willing to deal at the end of the month when it becomes obvious they need a sale or two to make certain quotas. Personally, I visited the dealership and feigned only a general interest in buying the JK. Took me over a month to seal the deal, mostly waiting for them to call me. They finally, did, and, voila: At the end of the month. "We'd sure like to see if we can't sell you a JK." (They knew I was wanting to order it). I told the salesman on the phone, "Are you willing to negotiate on price?" The salesman said he was, and he did!

Be patient.

Don't let them know how much you want it. You might even drop a hint that you're also considering the (name another brand of vehicle, preferably one less in price than you expect to pay for the JK--never let them know you might spend more!).

Don't let them trick you into negotiating one of the single focus items: Payment, Trade-in, Interest Rate. Negotiate price before all else. Then, if you plan to finance through them (I paid cash), work that out, and be sure to check out your own credit union (you're a member of a credit union, aren't you?). If the trade-in value they offer doesn't suit, consider selling your old vehicle yourself (I kept my old truck to give to my son).

Do be aware that depending on what you're looking for, you may have to give a little. Certain features are in top demand and dealers are having trouble getting them. Skulk around JK-Forum and you should have a pretty good clue what's popular and hard to get.

Good luck!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Use carsdirect.com

Or talk to the internet manager at the dealership. Pricing should be around $500 over invoice.

Quick Reply: Disappointing trip to dealer... they don't have much interest in dealing