Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

DIY airdam removal with pic

Old 12-13-2012, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY airdam removal with pic

I really hate the stupid plastic factory air dam on my new Jeep, seems like it should have been made of something more suitable. So today I decided enough was enough and uninstalled it.
*note I am not mechanically inclined, so this seemed to be the easiest route I saw on youtube.

1. Find big friggin mud hole
2. Say to yourself " I have driven through this before, what could possibly go wrong?"
3. Charge ahead in a suitable gear with whatever lockers and sway position you prefer ensuring you slide into a giant rut that wasn't there last time
4. Call buddy
5. "Yeah dude I know it was stupid...now..."
6. Make sure at this point you are completely sitting on the undercarriage, it helps if the mud hole has a sandy bottom to assure complete loss of traction and that the rut you fell into is really big too.
7. Hook up and tow out backwards because forward didn't work and I doubt the air dam could be easily removed that way anyway
8. Take off two remaining plastic clips and there you go, air dam removed!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-744365048.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	398006
Old 12-13-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by arx237
I really hate the stupid plastic factory air dam on my new Jeep, seems like it should have been made of something more suitable. So today I decided enough was enough and uninstalled it.
*note I am not mechanically inclined, so this seemed to be the easiest route I saw on youtube.

2. Say to yourself " I have driven through this before, what could possibly go wrong?"
3. Charge ahead in a suitable gear with whatever lockers and sway position you prefer ensuring you slide into a giant rut that wasn't there last time
4. Call buddy
6. Make sure at this point you are completely sitting on the undercarriage, it helps if the mud hole has a sandy bottom to assure complete loss of traction and that the rut you fell into is really big too.
7. Hook up and tow out backwards because forward didn't work and I doubt the air dam could be easily removed that way anyway

Attachment 398006
Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice work!!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or just go rock crawling
Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I pulled mine off a lot like that, only I was able to back out. The air dam seemed to like the mud and stayed behind.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 AM
JK Freak

HAH!

I know a good shop in Baldwin, MI that does a good job of removing these as well - just ask Frozenman!

Old 12-14-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by arx237

4. Call buddy

Attachment 398006

I've never been that deep before, and I somehow got muddy water into my radiator, check your overflow bottle and radiator.

Quick Reply: DIY airdam removal with pic