Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Do i really need it?

Old 08-13-2013, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i really need it?

Do I really need to lift my jeep? It's a stock 2 door 2013 sport. I'm defiantly going to get lockers and a sway bar disconnect but I don't rock crawl. I spend a lot time in sand, snow, and mud so should I buy some stock rubicon tires or throw a 3" lift with 35's on her? Idk what I want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3221451125.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	487985  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your not getting hung up on stuff theres no need to lift it.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:15 PM
JK Junkie

If you spend time in the mud then you probably do need it. You'll get the body high centered on something. Albeit bigger (taller) tires will help out with keeping the axles from getting as hung up.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-13-2013, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want your jeep to go from cool to awesome, lift it and put 35's on it...
Old 08-13-2013, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Yea I would, it looks and performs better too
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-647591901.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	488002   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2348471831.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	488003   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-158808949.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	488004  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You already have the Rubicon wheels, why not the Rubicon tires?

If you've got the stock tires on there, they're crap. Well, I shouldn't say that, because it depends on how you use them. For highway and road use, getting good gas mileage, they're not a bad tire. For heavy loads, and consistent offroading in mud, sand, etc, they're not a very good choice, long-term. The tread pattern and sidewall strength are definite negatives for those scenarios.

Lifting is about clearing obstacles. Lifting will not raise the height of your differentials, which are the most likely to hang up. Only taller tires will do that. If you're dredging in mud and sand, taller tires will help, and if you're sledding in the same, where the differentials are submerged, and the undercarriage is hanging up on muck and sand, then it might not be a bad idea to lift.

Go for it
Old 08-13-2013, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thats always an interesting question. The way I figured it was, I don't "need" it unless i'm solving a problem.
For example, I do trails mostly and had a completely stock sport, I took some rock damage so I got a new diff cover in the front, height wasn't a problem, it was a challenge. Tires (sra's), get the job done but getting up a muddy hill is a tough go, since I only came across one hill I needed help getting up I can't justify the cost v benefit. Stereo was terrible so I solved that problem, with new deck, tweets, amp and sub. Night driving in the country was brutal so I added some fancy lights that also look badass. Didn't like clear windows so I got em tinted and so on.

This line of thinking has saved me from getting out of control with the heroin coating they put on waybills for Jeep parts. Just read the regretted parts thread and see what people say, reading those and other opinion threads has stopped me from dropping thousands on a winch I would use twice a year and of course the "need" to get a new bumper to match. Money I used on my fancy scotch and cigar addiction, cuz of course I "need" the good scotch...
Old 08-13-2013, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

For my 2 Lockers do little to help in most situations and a sway bar disconnect does even less if you do not need the exagerated articulation. A modest lift and more aggressive tires will give you the most for your buck, both in terms of looks and in offroad performance.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Need? I don't really consider any of my mods a "need". All of them are the result of pure unadulterated desire.

So the question really is, "What do you desire?"

Good luck sorting out your desires...
Old 08-13-2013, 02:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drschem
For my 2 Lockers do little to help in most situations and a sway bar disconnect does even less if you do not need the exagerated articulation. A modest lift and more aggressive tires will give you the most for your buck, both in terms of looks and in offroad performance.
Disagree here. Disconnecting the sway bar helps a ton for traction and gives you a much smoother ride in the cab with less jolting. Not sure I'd spend the money on lockers for mud and sand tho. The jeeps BLD will do enough for you there

Quick Reply: Do i really need it?