Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

driving lights that work when recessed

Old 01-16-2017, 12:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default driving lights that work when recessed

I have this front bumper:

Click image for larger version

Name:	81cEzWy8oJL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	664640

The "wells" for the driving lights are recessed as you can see in the picture. The problem with the stock driving lights is that the shoulder on the inside of the light well blocks the light and leaves a giant dead spot directly in front of the vehicle, which of course makes the lights completely useless.

I can't be the only one with this issue, as I see bumpers with recessed driving lights like this all over the place. In fact there's one on a big Ram truck parked right outside my office window right now.

Anyone have an idea of driving lights that might work in this bumper? Or any other solution to this issue?
Old 01-16-2017, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe something with more of a spot pattern instead of a flood
Old 01-17-2017, 07:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think that would have the same problem, the inside edge of the beam would still be blocked.

Are there lights that fit (or can be made to fit) the factory mounts that sort of protrude more? Even the factory lights are recessed like 3/4" from the edge of the bumper opening, so maybe there are some lights that come up more flush?

Otherwise I think I'm going to re-mount the factory lights by cutting off the mounting tabs and finding another way to affix them that allows them to be pushed forward in the opening an inch or so.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen people use second light pocket stacked on top of the original to get clearance on after market hid headlamps it might be a solution for ya . But your jeep might start looking like Marty Feldman

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	664917

Quick Reply: driving lights that work when recessed