Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

e-autogrilles bumpers

Old 01-10-2017, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default e-autogrilles bumpers

After a rear-end collision in December, I finally got my Jeep back together with a matched pair of new bumpers from e-autogrilles. I know many of the forum members here may feel the need to deride my choice of vendors but I don't care, it's my Jeep and I'm pretty pleased overall with how it turned out. Main thing is, you can't beat the price. Both front and rear full-width bumpers for $675 shipped was just too good to pass up.

I chose the full width wrap-around rear bumper mostly because it looks much more like it is meant to be there and hooks up with the stock fender flares just like the OE bumper. I like the protective nature of the bumper ends keeping rocks from getting thrown up and putting (as many) dents into the sheet metal. I have always liked the look of the full-width front bumpers that are angled to offer high clearance but have complete coverage matching the stock fenders. I'm not often rock crawling and I think shorty bumpers really do look sort of "unfinished" on a JK. Both of these bumpers are noticeably lower profile than the stock bumpers they replaced and offer better approach/exit angles. The front bumper has a bit of a skid plate built in where the stock belly cover would be, and since the D rings and hitch are integrated into the rear bumper I was able to remove the tow hooks and get significantly more clearance in the rear.

Installation of both bumpers was pretty easy with the exception of getting a couple of the nuts off of the original front bumper to remove. The rear bumper has the hitch integrated and it bolts to the crossmember with four bolts through an L-shaped heavy duty steel bracket much like the OEM hitch in addition to the bolts to the frame on the sides. I used the JK scissor jack to sort of snug up the bumper against the bottom of the crossmember while installing.

Some oddities and quirks:
- the front bumper's D-rings came with urethane isolators, which was unexpected and is cool. The rear did not, which was a disappointment only after I got my hopes up from the unexpected front bumper stuff. So the D-rings in the rear bumper rattle over speed bumps and such. I probably will remove them until they are needed even though they look sorta cool.
- the packing of these things was done right, and they came essentially undamaged contrary to many other complaints I saw on the Internet about the e-autogrilles bumpers. The only "damage" was to the mounts for auxiliary lights on the overrider bar, which were bent at the ends and I straightened them with a crescent wrench. They had a protective plastic cover on them in the package but my guess is it took a hit and overwhelmed the plastic protective thingy. Not a huge problem, and certainly not worth the hassle of trying to ship them back.
- I chose the full-width front bumper that is supposed to fit the factory fog lights. They do mount up correctly but they are way further from the center of the Jeep than they are when mounted in the factory bumper so the wires don't reach. I had to separate the wires from the loom and basically reroute and re-loom the wires just to make them reach, and they barely reach as it is. Ideally really this needs an 18" long extension cable for each light to really make it work right.
- Speaking of fog lights, the fog lights are far more recessed into the bumper, especially close to the middle, compared with the stock bumper mounting. The result is the fog lights are essentially useless since the deep recess basically blocks most of the light from the fog lights where you really need it, which is in the middle of your field of view. This is exacerbated by the fact that the fog lights are mounted much further from the center than before. All you see of the fog lights is a weird pattern to the left and right sides. I am going to have to come up with some other solution here, since I actually used my fog lights and had come to rely on them. Considering I spent half of the install time getting the fog lights connected, it was a bit of a downer to find that they basically don't work.
- Looking at this photo you would be forgiven for thinking the front bumper ends line up flush with the fenders. In actuality they are about 1/4" short of the fenders. Again, no big deal, but not precisely what I expected.

I know that sounds like a list of gripes but truly the bumpers are pretty killer and I like them a lot. Totally worth the $675. I really didn't want to add this much weight to the ends of the Jeep and I can definitely feel it both cornering and braking; it's not insignificant. Given unlimited funds I probably would have preferred to put 10AE/RHR bumpers on, but they would have cost 3x as much or more for a pair. Truthfully I was completely happy with the stock bumpers but once I had to replace one, it made sense to go ahead and do them both.

The new front bumper has a big cavity for a winch that now looks kind of like a big empty hole and I'm seriously considering getting a winch, since it would serve a cosmetic purpose in addition to the utility. I really don't need it, or at least haven't yet, but it won't hurt to have one.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Good deal. All that really matters is that you are happy with the purchase. Saw a thread not too long ago it seems that someone had some fitment issues with one of their fronts, but other than that haven't really seen anything bad about them. They definitely give you some decent value, and at that price point I don't think anyone is expecting perfection, so a gripe here or there is to be expected. Nice write up for others contemplating giving them a try.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to see some pics of them on your Jeep
Old 01-22-2017, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Hrm... "I know that sounds like a list of gripes" - mr72

I disagree with this statement. Rather, I think you need to add a few photographs and this makes a great review or write-up.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:52 AM
JK Freak

I'll see about getting some pictures. Jeep had to go back into the shop because some accidental damage was done to the tail gate while welding in the new crossmember so I was without it right after the bumper install for about a week.

Pictures forthcoming.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:40 AM
JK Freak

Default Pictures

As promised.

The unexpected poly insulators on the D rings... And you can see how the bumper actually aligns with the edges of the fenders, very close but not perfect.
Click image for larger version

Name:	J7PbKh6S0noVIH-AfZF3u19UxIkH7mcbOhGI0233IivVT2qX-8R5Kf6IRY3fqJ6VqrF0Kt8glBAiGYD44ETA9oX8sQbabpYo.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	993.5 KB
ID:	665827

Here you can see how the driving lights are recessed in a way that causes the light that would normally go towards the middle of the road to be blocked, so they only illuminate on the edges.

Name:	11bBNGxZuQOTBvJLBYRwDjK3RhaqA0TPEY_ipggPTveqElmBSWpSco3dWs5ygtN_VcBj0zw__GCikPpi8D8hchUtyR8pRp9j.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	665828

Rear bumper is actually not as deep or tall as the stock one if you count the "bumps" on the stock bumper, but this one doesn't have "bumps" so the "bar" portion is actually deeper than the same part of the stock bumper. Also there's more room for a spare on this bumper vs. stock.

Name:	M9v1CskzkGsw5ji4-iCz2wSuEaAPMdbAAri8ZTwuh8x6FP5ChF2EjA88t5XidVs6gDRBcLhyJOijBt7z5UCSECcvC03VMLak.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	700.7 KB
ID:	665829

The hitch is pretty much 100% exactly in the same place as the hitch I had before. It just looks like it is sticking out further because the bumper is tapered in at the bottom. Like I said, lower profile, improved entry/exit angles on both ends.

Name:	CGhYs1ms8pxA3ywFLWTli0Rl56d2tWos5NIM-aCdECzoiJEBdvw9uzmvJXHLzP7tRhoCzggYjy95KyVmnj-W_8spdb9Z1wJU.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	665830
Old 02-02-2017, 10:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Thanks for the follow up. This post should help others in the future as you've given a nice review with pictures! Should save a few redundant threads with questions regarding the bumpers.

Quick Reply: e-autogrilles bumpers