Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Ever see this warning light?

Old 01-17-2014, 03:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tonight my ETC light came on! It's a 2010 with just over 19k on her! I was driving down the interstate and took an off ramp then stopped at a light, was stopped for a few seconds and then the ETC light came on, also ran real rough with little throttle response. Pulled over, shut it off and on and was good! Any sure fire fixes? Info please!!!!!!! Thanks guys!
Old 04-02-2014, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am hoping to get some help from this thread. I have a similar problem from above with the ETC light coming on. I don't notice any performance problems but slight roughness during idle (may or may not be attributed to this problem). I have already replaced spark plugs prior to this light coming on. It was time due to mileage.

Today, the light appeared like it has for a week or so during my commute. When I arrived at work, I ran the self diagnostic check on the dash and it revealed the p0221 code. I don't know why I didn't try that before. According to my cheat sheet, that's the throttle position sensor problem code . I am hoping to get some direction if the TPS is the problem and should be replaced.

Also, I did a check in JK-forum history and didn't see any write-ups on replaceing the TPS and having success. @ronjenx if your around, please comment. I find your advice is typiclly very helpful.

Last edited by ashdon3kids; 04-02-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ashdon3kids
I am hoping to get some help from this thread. I have a similar problem from above with the ETC light coming on. I don't notice any performance problems but slight roughness during idle (may or may not be attributed to this problem). I have already replaced spark plugs prior to this light coming on. It was time due to mileage.

Today, the light appeared like it has for a week or so during my commute. When I arrived at work, I ran the self diagnostic check on the dash and it revealed the p0221 code. I don't know why I didn't try that before. According to my cheat sheet, that's the throttle position sensor problem code . I am hoping to get some direction if the TPS is the problem and should be replaced.

Also, I did a check in JK-forum history and didn't see any write-ups on replaceing the TPC and having success. @ronjenx if your around, please comment. I find your advice is typiclly very helpful.
Have the codes read with a code reader. Not all codes will show with the self-reader.

P0221 can be accompanied by Limp Mode.
You are not having performance problems except for slightly rough idle. That could be as simple as cleaning the throttle body/plate.

Here is some info on the code you posted:

P0221-THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR 2 PERFORMANCE

• When Monitored: Ignition on and No MAP Sensor DTCs set.

• Set Condition: TP Sensor signals do not correlate to the MAP Sensor signal. Two Trip Fault. ETC light will illuminate. P2135 should set with this code also.

NOTE: Diagnose any other TP Sensor DTC(s) before continuing.
    NOTE: The throttle plate and linkage should be free from binding and carbon build up.
    NOTE: Inspect the engine for vacuum leaks.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: center"]Possible Causes
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE TP SIGNAL 1 CIRCUIT
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE TP SIGNAL 2 CIRCUIT
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE TP SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"](K22) TP SIGNAL 1 SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE TP SIGNAL 2 CIRCUIT
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR/THROTTLE BODY
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white, align: left"]POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 04-22-2014, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

I have finally taken my jeep to the dealer, the code was P0507, which reads idle air system higher than normal! So it ended up being a vacuum leak causing my idle to be rough, causing the etc light and trac control light to come on. they replaced the hose (about 180 parts and labor CA), I had them clean the throttle body, fuel systems, and it all came out to $334! So I hope this helps anyone out with the same problems! It is now running great and no issues thus far! Hope it helps! Good luck!
Old 01-08-2015, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Have the codes read with a code reader. Not all codes will show with the self-reader.

P0221 can be accompanied by Limp Mode.
You are not having performance problems except for slightly rough idle. That could be as simple as cleaning the throttle body/plate.

Here is some info on the code you posted:

P0221-THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR 2 PERFORMANCE

• When Monitored: Ignition on and No MAP Sensor DTCs set.

• Set Condition: TP Sensor signals do not correlate to the MAP Sensor signal. Two Trip Fault. ETC light will illuminate. P2135 should set with this code also.

NOTE: Diagnose any other TP Sensor DTC(s) before continuing.
    NOTE: The throttle plate and linkage should be free from binding and carbon build up.
    NOTE: Inspect the engine for vacuum leaks.
I just had the onboard diagnostic throw the P0221 and P2135 codes again during idle. It's been a bunch of months since they came on last time. Then they went out with no explanation. I am hoping @Ronjenx is around and can decipher what I am supposed to do with the above information. I am going to start by cleaning the throttle plate. I hope you have some advice.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Been almost a year still no issues since that fix
Old 01-08-2015, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

I have had the same problem with my jeep and it was a vac leak. About the same to fix and problem went away. Cheers
Old 06-08-2015, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by redrubirocker
I have finally taken my jeep to the dealer, the code was P0507, which reads idle air system higher than normal! So it ended up being a vacuum leak causing my idle to be rough, causing the etc light and trac control light to come on. they replaced the hose (about 180 parts and labor CA), I had them clean the throttle body, fuel systems, and it all came out to $334! So I hope this helps anyone out with the same problems! It is now running great and no issues thus far! Hope it helps! Good luck!

I've only had my jeep for one year, and this light just came on. taking it to the dealer tomorrow. hope it's not too expensive

Quick Reply: Ever see this warning light?