Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Facing the Facts

Old 10-24-2012, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Facing the Facts

Hey y'all,

I'm in need of everyones fine help today, for I am writing a paper over the off-roading community! But I have come to some dilemas pretty quickly. Here are a few questions I have for you and I KNOW there will be different answers and that is why I need more than one persons help! Give your answers and most of them are opinion based so don't be afraid to chip in your 2 cents!

1. How large is the Jeep Off-Roading Community? Does it include all jeep models?
2. What qualifies one to be in the Off-Roading community? Stock but hits trails or Built up Mall Crawler?
3. Differences between Pros and Novices? Years? Experience? or just natural talent?
4. Are there any rules when in this community?
5. Does someone in this community have a motto or creed? Or just something they all know they have to do?

Thanks for y'alls tremendous help, and keep wheeling!
Old 10-24-2012, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hobo37
Hey y'all,

I'm in need of everyones fine help today, for I am writing a paper over the off-roading community! But I have come to some dilemas pretty quickly. Here are a few questions I have for you and I KNOW there will be different answers and that is why I need more than one persons help! Give your answers and most of them are opinion based so don't be afraid to chip in your 2 cents!

1. How large is the Jeep Off-Roading Community? Does it include all jeep models?
2. What qualifies one to be in the Off-Roading community? Stock but hits trails or Built up Mall Crawler?
3. Differences between Pros and Novices? Years? Experience? or just natural talent?
5. Does someone in this community have a motto or creed? Or just something they all know they have to do?

1. Mostly the Jeep off-road community seems to like the CJ/Wrangler, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee in that order. Not sure how to gauge the size of the community, but if the JK forum is representative of the group, I think there are between 50,000 and 100,000 members here.

2. I don't think mall crawlers could be considered part of the off-road community, but that doesn't mean a Jeep with off-road experience never goes to the mall. Stock or modified may determine what kind of trails a Jeep may try, but not whether the owner is an off-roader.

3. A novice is a beginner (noobie). Pros get paid for their efforts. I guess everyone else is the rest of us. Driving skill (experience and/or talent) is usually more important than equipment, but its not like anybody is keeping score AFAIK.

4. Wave at other Jeeps! There are rules-of-the-trail for sure (some even remember them). Tread lightly is another rule for many - the idea being that we should leave the least possible impact and damage to the trails and environment.

5. No help here.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the Help man!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

Default Jeep production moving to China! Thanks Obama

Originally Posted by Freewill
1. Mostly the Jeep off-road community seems to like the CJ/Wrangler, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee in that order. Not sure how to gauge the size of the community, but if the JK forum is representative of the group, I think there are between 50,000 and 100,000 members here.

2. I don't think mall crawlers could be considered part of the off-road community, but that doesn't mean a Jeep with off-road experience never goes to the mall. Stock or modified may determine what kind of trails a Jeep may try, but not whether the owner is an off-roader.

3. A novice is a beginner (noobie). Pros get paid for their efforts. I guess everyone else is the rest of us. Driving skill (experience and/or talent) is usually more important than equipment, but its not like anybody is keeping score AFAIK.

4. Wave at other Jeeps! There are rules-of-the-trail for sure (some even remember them). Tread lightly is another rule for many - the idea being that we should leave the least possible impact and damage to the trails and environment.

5. No help here.

Might want to add this to your paper:

Jeep, an Obama favorite, looks to shift production to China | WashingtonExaminer.com
Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ameise00
Absolutely dead wrong! You're not reading all the info about this. Chrysler is considering opening Jeep manufacturing plants in China to ease the increrasing pressure on the US plants which are having a hard time filling orders in a timely manner.

Read this, particularly the last sentence of the second paragraph: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/22/j...ines-in-china/

Last edited by Rule18; 10-25-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My

If you own a Jeep, your in the community.

Have an Off-Road capable vehicle.

Just two categories. Pros get paid. Then there is everyone else.

Jeeps aren't about rules. But you are expected to follow social and environmental good practices.

5. Does someone in this community have a motto or creed? Or just something they all know they have to do
Have to do - Enjoy the freedom of your Jeep.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hobo37
Hey y'all,

1) Pure numbers, I don't know. As far as Jeep models, I'd say the vast majority are Wranglers and CJ's and Cherokees. I've seen a few Liberty's and an older Grand Cherokee or two, but not many.
2) Off-roading can be stock, but it must be off-pavement. Mall Crawlers with $20K worth of mods that have never seen the trails do not count (but they are still Jeeps)
3) Not sure there is any natural talent in driving off-road. Experience is key, as well as the knowing what you don't know and being willing to learn from others with more experience than you.
4) Tread-lightly for sure. Up hill traffic has the right-of-way. Don't act like a fool.
4) Jeeps are the most heavily modifiable vehicles out there, so everyone's is different. I try to remember not to judge based on what mods they have. That's part of what makes this community great and one of the best parts of owning a Jeep. Regardless of what you can afford to do or what you personal preferences are, it's still a Jeep, so come on out and play.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Woah I read both of the articles that were posted and damn. I will include these in my paper, and really guys y'all have been a great help! Keep it coming!!!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the things that you mentioned is #4. You can see many people talk about tread lightly. Tread Lightly is an organization that is devoted to keeping trails open , and how to wheel and leave the off roading area in good shape. If you are writing a paper , you should include how alot of states are closing off road trails left and right. These are trails that were meant for everyone , but some groups like the Sierra club only wants the trails to be enjoyed by hikers and have actually have sued the government to close trails I live by Lake Tahoe and 42 trails were closed last year so no one may enjoy them. I think you should go to tread lightly's web site and see what's going on. You could write a whole paper on it alone. Trails are to be enjoyed by everyone , so you might think , but some have their own idea on that! By the way , my mother gave the Sierra club money for years thinking they were doing some good , but it turns out , they are jerks ! Good luck

Quick Reply: Facing the Facts