Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

FAIL: How not to remove JK Freedom Top panel. Scratches and minor nicks

Old 07-20-2014, 11:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAIL: How not to remove JK Freedom Top panel. Scratches and minor nicks

So left my JKRU outside a few days ago and then next day decided to take the top panels off. First did the dr. side. No issue but realized how hot the top actually was. Get to the passenger side, go to pop the top off and jammed my right thumb at just the right angle. As I'm holding on to the top and my hands are starting to burn from the heat I decide to set the edge on my left foot and steadied by my left hand. As I'm checking out the thumb damage and watching the swelling start I realized that the top slipped off the top of my shoe and dragged for a short distance on my driveway (cement with the little pebble rocks)

So now I have some scratches on the edge of the top where the Anvil paint has wore off and I see white... Will get the touchup paint at the dealership next couple of days. Next time I take the top off, I'm going to make sure my son is there to give me a hand. Anybody else run into this? I'm pretty careful with my cars usually and this bites! (only have 1500 miles on the odo).

Cheers!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:10 PM
JK Freak

just to give you a heads up, the panels are plastic, ive been working on painting my inner white side, krylon fusion for plastic sticks great but doesnt come in anvil, the anvil touch up pen will be the right color but may not stick to plastic without primer, so you may need a primer pen to run over the scratches first, let dry, then paint over the primer. and it couldnt hurt to shoot the panels with clear coat once repaired so if you were to hit them wrong again the clear coat might take the brunt instead of the color

ps sorry about the thumb, ive been there, its ****in hurts. ive got a can of flat black fusion ordered to repair the dings on my top, found out the hard way you cant scrub too hard if somethings stuck to it, cause itll turn the black paint on mine grey/take it off.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by s2kdrifter
No issue but realized how hot the top actually was.

Anybody else run into this?

Cheers!
Keep a pair of clean Mechanics Gloves in the glove box. Use them when removing the top, it'll protect your hands from the hot top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-939427987.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	566604

^ hard to see but they're there for this exact reason!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:32 AM
JK Newbie

I was about to say this. I have high temperature gloves in mine for that exact reason.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Davorama
I was about to say this. I have high temperature gloves in mine for that exact reason.
Thanks and good ideas guys. Went to the dealer to pick up a touch up paint in Anvil and they didn't have it in stock. Will have it tomorrow. I looked at the scratches again today, it isn't as bad as I initially thought.

Cheers!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used to burn the shit out of myself in the summer dude haha that's why I got a soft top. I still burn the shit out myself but to a lesser degree haha. Just use a good pair of mechanics gloves or just a pair that doesn't let you feel heat well. I use either some cheap baseball gloves I have laying around or my Oakley hard knuckles from my PMC days. Good luck man.

Quick Reply: FAIL: How not to remove JK Freedom Top panel. Scratches and minor nicks