Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Field mouse was in my engine

Old 01-31-2017, 12:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend sent me this link after I complained to him about our recent problem with mouse eaten fuel-injection wiring.

Incredible Edible Car
Old 01-31-2017, 03:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here. No real damage so far. Just a chewed up owners manual and a nice cozy nest in the glove box. Never did find the little bugger. I guess it's kind of inevitable since I live on 12 wooded acres and leave the top and doors off all summer. (btw, it's always parked on gravel, so I'd have to say that solution is debunked). I will definitely try the dryer sheets tho
Old 01-31-2017, 04:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleGreenMonster
(btw, it's always parked on gravel, so I'd have to say that solution is debunked)
Yes. I own a business and we park our trucks on a gravel lot. We have a lot of mice problems. They get in the trucks and my camper that I have parked there. I haven't found anything that works. I bought some of the packets that put out a scent that supposedly deter mice. It did not work at all. Traps are your friend.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:59 PM
JK Freak

I have ordered some small plastic containers and some magnets. I think I'll drill some holes in them, put mothballs inside and stick them on the underside of the hood and see how that works. I'll try the bar of soap in the glove box trick too.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I haven't had any mice problems (knock on wood) but I did have a squirrel build a nest in my engine bay. I have my suspicions that dryer sheets would just likely provide him some more material to build his nest with and give him a fresh smelling pillow/blanket. Any suggestions for squirrels?

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-06-2017 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Don't park near trees, but no those critters seem to go wherever they want.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dustdriver
To avoid entry to the air filter box, I cut a small rectangle-shaped piece of 1/4" wire mesh, and folded the edges down around the air intake. This has prevented any re-entry there.
Found a couple pics:

Old 02-05-2017, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dustdriver
Found a couple pics:

Look under your engine cover. That foam block is made from processed soy........
Old 02-06-2017, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default slightly bigger than a mouse

ran into a guy while up in the mountains near Animas Forks that had a marmot in his engine bay. Used a hiking pole to try and help him scare it out of the compartment. the thing ended up taking chunks out of the hiking stick with its teeth. Finally we got it to run out the bottom and scamper away. The guy said a marmot had stranded his friend before by chewing a fuel line in half.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ZebraJacket99
ran into a guy while up in the mountains near Animas Forks that had a marmot in his engine bay. Used a hiking pole to try and help him scare it out of the compartment. the thing ended up taking chunks out of the hiking stick with its teeth.
I would have started up the engine. Killed a cat that way, cat never went there again. But that was when the fan was attached to the engine and when the fan grabbed the leg or tail it was all over

Quick Reply: Field mouse was in my engine