Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Finally compared the Automatic to my stcik....

Old 11-13-2007, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally compared the Automatic to my stcik....

In the past couple years I have always wonder why folks buy automatics in a Wrangler. Most of my friends that have autos have at least replaced theirs before they even reach 70k. And what's 4x4ing without a stick. So I had to see for myself.

So I was on business and they gave me a free upgrade... JK 2 DR X 2007 with an Automatic. In the past, I had the 2 dr with a stick same gears and now upgraded to the 4 dr. But back to the point..... I had to see for myself why? Why an Auto?

Here's my thoughts after 7 days with it....

Plus...

1) Traffic .... You don't have to glide on first to throw the clutch in when some idiot cuts you off. Way too easy and cool...

2) I found that taking off was awesome up to the second gear. Almost thought it was Honda or something

3) MPG was ranging 18 in the city but 21 on the Hwy (my stick with 3.21s was giving me 21 city and 24 on the hwy calculated everytime at the pump dearing the fill ups.) Anyhow, that's pretty comparable to other SUVs or Trucks

Cons...

1) After a quick take off, it stuck at a high rpm before switching or letting off the gas for a couple of secionds. Wierd....but I have heard this was normal.
Sometimes it would stick in a gear and slow you down before letting off.

2) Once over 50, it turns to a snail to accelerate. I found that you have to floor it just to get to 65 or to pass.

Overall... I'm pretty bias with a stick shift, but it was some how pretty smooth. I wish I could take off just as fast, but even with the 3.7s, it still pretty hard to get that punch. I thought it would be pretty boring, but I can see why some of you choose to go with the Auto.

So if you are in the market, I would really encourage to try both just for the heck of it.....

No matter what... It's a Jeep....

What's your experiences.....
Old 11-14-2007, 01:51 AM
JK Jedi

Mines a daily driver so I definitely prefer the auto, and I've never had an complaints with autos off-road. My only issue with an auto was in my TJ, driving in the mountains in CO (highway) wasn't fun, but the JK handled them much better. If/when I have a Jeep that is a secondary, more trail oriented rig I would probably give the manual strong consideration.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:36 AM
JK Freak

I learned to drive on a stick. My first vehicle was a stick. My second was a stick. My third was a stick. My fourth was an auto. Since my JK is my only vehicle and I commute to work, there's no way I would even consider the manual. Plus, driving my dad's rover off-road with the manual, I think I prefer an auto for wheeling. Lots less work.

Not sure about the replacing an auto transmission at 70k miles thing. Never had to do that in my Bravada which still ran smooth at 90k before I sold it. If my auto trans in my JK is only going to last until 70k miles, it will be the absolute last Chrysler product I ever buy.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by N2rock
.. I'm 42 now, and just see manuals as something I've grown out of-...
I refuse to do that (grow up, that is). I've been driving manuals since my first car, a 1963 Karmann Ghia convertible in 1969. Only automatic I've ever owned was because the manuals were too darned hard to find: Tenth Anniversary Edition Trans Am. Still got that. But it will be the last auto I ever by. I'm hooked on stick shifts, even if I may suffer a rare stall at an inconvenient time.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

I drove an 08 JK auto over the weekend with 3.73 gears too... and I have to agree. Acceleration at highway speeds is not too great and it really takes a wide open throttle to get it. That sure creates a lot of noise! I don't remember the highway passing requiring so much throttle or so much noise in my 02 TJ auto... but it was a 3 speed and the JK's auto now has an overdrive. Maybe part of the slowness is simply the amount of throttle needed for a downshift, and the subsequent pause in putting the power to the ground in that shift.

Otherwise, it felt fine in all other circumstances.

To answer the question of why? Lots of people just do not enjoy manuals I suppose. I do enjoy my own clutchwork, but have also been having a lot of back problems lately that make manual cars difficult to drive. It is what is prompting me to consider a JK now, as my current vehicle is a stick and after trying to live with the pain it causes my back I have about had it. An auto definately would work better for me, right now.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

to me buying a Jeep with automatic is like buying a Corvette in an automatic. a big no no.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:16 AM
JK Junkie

My mileage varies from yours, in that I don't find my JK to be a slug at all...

Now, I do have 4.10 gears and an AIRAID installed, but that can hardly make a gigantic difference versus a stock 3.73 geared JK. Are you talking about a 4 door automatic?

My 2 door JK can accelerate hard and strong through 80 MPH easily, and THEN requires a lot of throttle to accelerate further. I can cruise at 75 all day, effortlessly. Of course, if you're really into top-end speed (which means you shouldn't be driving a Jeep!), I've found that switching O/D off gives even more pep (MORE than enough).

I've test-driven a 4 door automatic JK and found the power to be somewhat lacking, but not at all with the 2 door... It baffles me when people complain about how slow their JKs are, because when I feel like goosing the engine, it's got plenty of pep - and yes, I HAVE owned sports cars - it's no sports car, but it's no dead horse, either.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
My mileage varies from yours, in that I don't find my JK to be a slug at all...

Now, I do have 4.10 gears and an AIRAID installed, but that can hardly make a gigantic difference versus a stock 3.73 geared JK. Are you talking about a 4 door automatic?

My 2 door JK can accelerate hard and strong through 80 MPH easily, and THEN requires a lot of throttle to accelerate further. I can cruise at 75 all day, effortlessly. Of course, if you're really into top-end speed (which means you shouldn't be driving a Jeep!), I've found that switching O/D off gives even more pep (MORE than enough).

I've test-driven a 4 door automatic JK and found the power to be somewhat lacking, but not at all with the 2 door... It baffles me when people complain about how slow their JKs are, because when I feel like goosing the engine, it's got plenty of pep - and yes, I HAVE owned sports cars - it's no sports car, but it's no dead horse, either.
i concur. while it's no sports car, i certainly don't have any complaints. i've driven everything from 4cyl to 8cyl in various sport cars, trucks, suvs, etc. even with 35s mine still pulls pretty good. now put a boat behind it and it's probably a different story.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before we got our jeep we test drove an Automatic and the 6spd manual. There are always pro's and con's to both. I like a few, I think if you buy a Jeep it has to be a manual just like any muscle car should have a manual.

I just think with today's city's and growing traffic people are going away from the Stick and going with the Auto's. I have had both stick and manual 4x4's and there is pro's and con's of both! The manual was nicier for downshifting and controlling your downhill speeds. The drawback's are if you found the wrong gear or getting over an obstical you have that issue of stalling out.

I found the manual was a little peepier off the line and higher highway speeds over the Automatic. I enjoyed the fun factor of shifting gears. Right now with our manual 6 speed we are currently getting 20 MPG City and 23.5 MPG highway with only 500 miles on the motor. I have been very impressed with mileage with the manual and just how easy the shifting is!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have a standard, it's harder to talk on a cellphone at the same time.

I hate cellphones. Love standards. Wish all cars were standards, so I wouldn't have to deal with those idiots trying to talk and drive at the same time (and screwing it up).

Quick Reply: Finally compared the Automatic to my stcik....