Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

First post and questions

Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post and questions

Hi all I've been browsing the forum for a few months and I think I'm going to buy a 2013 Unlimited Sahara. I am looking at one with a sundowner soft top which I like. I live in NJ and think it should be fine for the winter. However, I see a lot of aftermarket soft top options so now I'm thinking about getting a hard top and adding an aftermarket soft top before the spring.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Will the soft top do well through the winter? What are the advantages of the hard top? Is the sundowner a good soft top? Or are there better options out there? Mostly I'm thinking about road noise, ease of use.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Odin43
Hi all I've been browsing the forum for a few months and I think I'm going to buy a 2013 Unlimited Sahara. I am looking at one with a sundowner soft top which I like. I live in NJ and think it should be fine for the winter. However, I see a lot of aftermarket soft top options so now I'm thinking about getting a hard top and adding an aftermarket soft top before the spring.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Will the soft top do well through the winter? What are the advantages of the hard top? Is the sundowner a good soft top? Or are there better options out there? Mostly I'm thinking about road noise, ease of use.

Thanks
Well road noise is going to be loud with a soft top no matter what. And its much cheaper to buy a hardtop jeep then purchase an aftermarket soft top later. Hardtops rand from 1,500-3,000 new. I live in Colorado and yes soft tops do hold up just fine in winter. Although I prefer my hardtop most of the time. Less road noise. And a little warmer inside. plus I work downtown, less chance of my jeep getting broken into with a hardtop
Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can scrape ice off the hardtop, and the plastic windows tend to crack and split when you mess with them when its very cold. Try getting into the back without messing with the rear window. On my 97 Sport i got a dual top package before it was even an option, but then the TJs were brand new and there wasnt any other softops to buy aftermarket.....my 04 and my 12 i just got with the hardtop and bought aftermarket based on what i wanted......Hope this helps......By the way i'm a fellow Jersian moved to Utah in 99....
Old 11-24-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the responses guys, definitely points to consider.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default another option..

You may consider the Dual Top option when you make your purchase. The hard top option runs about $895 and the Dual Top is about $2000. Might be about the same even with finding an after-market soft top. Plus the convenience of just getting it out of the way at first might be worth it up front...
Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

I got both tops and I'm glad I did. It works out almost like two vehicles, one summer one winter. If you get both initially you get all the fittings (and wiring) for both. If you opt for one it takes some conversion to add the other later. Plus if opting for factory tinting, both tops come with the windows tinted. The soft top can get drafty unless you are really careful fitting it with each use. Also in some areas you don't want to leave valuables or anything in the Jeep since you essentially cannot lock the back. I leave my JK outside but with the soft top it a whole lot more convenient if you have a garage or at least a carport. You don't have to be Always closing it up or covering it. Still, it's worth having it for the six months. If I had to pick only one though I would either:
- get the hardtop and get one of the aftermarket Best Top configurations, or
- go all the way with the soft top and get the no-cost option factory half doors, which are truly awesome on JKU 's. besides, if you want more options later, it's always easier to find full-size doors later on than find anyone willing to part with the factory half doors.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Appreciate it guys. I went with the dual top option. Soft top is on it now but will have the freedom hard top next week. Just finishing up at the dealership now.

Quick Reply: First post and questions