Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Florida jeepers question

Old 05-18-2015, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida jeepers question

So I've driven my jeep jk 2door with the doors off (no side mirrors) a few times and haven't been pulled over even passed a state trooper and nothing happened. Is it legal to have no side mirrors in Florida ?I've been told by many different people that it is legal and that it is illegal even online I've got mixed review...I've seen those street legal golf carts with no side mirrors driving on the road so I think I'm ok just looking for some Floridian jeepers prospective ...thanks 👍🏽
Old 05-18-2015, 10:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Found this...Mirror Laws by State (U.S.) - EcoModder

"Florida

Title XXIII MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316 STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL View Entire Chapter

316.294 Mirrors.--Every vehicle, operated singly or when towing any other vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the motor vehicle. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 1, ch. 76-31; s. 207, ch. 99-248.

Note.--Former s. 316.273

316.2954 Windows behind the driver; restrictions on sunscreening material.-- (Edited for relavent content) A person shall not operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road, or street, on which vehicle the rear window is composed of, covered by, or treated with any material which has the effect of making the window nontransparent, unless the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both sides that meet the requirements of s. 316.294."

So I would say you only need sideviews if the rear is obstructed.

Last edited by 14Sport; 05-18-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks a lot normally when I have the doors off I have the top off too so my rear definitely is not obstructed thanks a lot 👍
Old 05-18-2015, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Even with the top on, you should be good to go! Assuming you have a rearview mirror, they I say hang a leg...and Jeep on!!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jsukey
Even with the top on, you should be good to go! Assuming you have a rearview mirror, they I say hang a leg...and Jeep on!!
yes sir !! Thank you for the info !
Old 05-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Former Vendor

Florida laws are pretty lenient in regards to things that matter to Jeeps. Only one mirror required (rear view, or side mount), only rehired to have two working brake lights (so you can ditch the CHMSL if you do a tramp stamp), lift laws are pretty much non existent, etc... Great place to live... Now if we cold only a get a single mountain, or some rocks it would be nirvana...
Old 05-21-2015, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Level 10 Off Road
Florida laws are pretty lenient in regards to things that matter to Jeeps. Only one mirror required (rear view, or side mount), only rehired to have two working brake lights (so you can ditch the CHMSL if you do a tramp stamp), lift laws are pretty much non existent, etc... Great place to live... Now if we cold only a get a single mountain, or some rocks it would be nirvana...
HardRock Offroad is as close as we are going to get...
Old 05-21-2015, 10:03 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by flatattack
HardRock Offroad is as close as we are going to get...
Yeah.... I know...

We're planning a trip up to Gulches at some point this summer, not sure exact when yet.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah if you have a rear view mirror you are fine however I have found going door less it is impossible to see the lane to my right and tell if any car is there. I bought the quick disconnect mirrors for going door less and it is perfect takes all of 30 seconds to put them on. Enough blind spots on my 4 door as is. I didn't need to add anymore. I also see people putting small mirrors on their outside ac vets and directing them out. Simple and cheap cost at auto store.

Quick Reply: Florida jeepers question