Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Freedom top bag poorly designed?

Old 06-21-2013, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freedom top bag poorly designed?

Unless I am not using it right, I find that the freedom top bag is a pain in the ass the use. The removable panels come have "handles" molded into them that make it easier to hold, but they have to go handle-side down into the bag?? So that means I have to flip it upside down where there is little to hold on to while I try to keep the bag upright to slide it in. Almost impossible and super awkward to do alone. Any tips on this? I feel like in doing it wrong.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They will only fit one way. I agree it's a pain. I usually leave mine at home to skip the hassle.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you get enough pinstriping on the hardtop, you just kinda throw the panels in the bag and don't pay much attention to that stuff
Old 06-21-2013, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

Hmm so I've been doing it right. Oh we'll, I guess once the pretty paint gets chipped or hailed on, I'll stop being so careful and bag them from above with the edge on the ground
Old 06-21-2013, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree, they're difficult to use. After a few times it's become easier for me though. It's been a while since I've done it but I think I rest a panel on edge on the floor leaning it against the desk and slide the bag over it, then turn it upside down and slide the second panel into it. It isn't easy getting one back out.

But, I like to keep my things as nice as possible so I'll keep using it.

Last edited by bbolander; 06-21-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bbolander
I agree, they're difficult to use. After a few times it's become easier for me though. It's been a while since I've done it but I think I rest a panel on edge on the floor leaning it against the desk and slide the bag over it, then turn it upside down and slide the second door into it. It isn't easy getting one back out.

But, I like to keep my things as nice as possible so I'll keep using it.
You put your doors in ther too!!! mines not that big. Sorry i couldnt resist
Old 06-21-2013, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed. To ease the annoyance, try to memorize how the tops should be oriented in the bag. The angled part of the bag is for the cutaway section on each roof panel. I believe the tops should face inward.

That doesn't make it any easier when you're trying to put a monster sized roof panel in a floppy cloth bag--should have opted for the trunk monkey option to hold the bag
Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by suds1485
You put your doors in ther too!!! mines not that big. Sorry i couldnt resist
woops! edited it.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Doesn't help that I stopped growing in the 4th grade Haha. I can barely carry the bag once there are both panels inside.

It would have been a lot better of they didn't have the angled notch at the bottom.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I stash my panels in that bag all the time. Yes, the handle cutouts in the panels go at the bottom of the bag, and that's silly. And yes, putting big solid panels in a fabric bag is silly too, but I swear there's a method that works. I wasn't going to get into it to try to avoid looking like a total OCD nerd, but here it is anyway:

1. Open the tailgate. I don't know about the 4 door, but in a 2 door it's easier to have the rear seat folded or out.
2. Unzip the bag and lay it at the back of the trunk area, open end facing out (toward the rear) and the storage strap on top. This will put the notch in the bag toward the front of the Jeep, passenger side. The bag is too wide to lay flat, but don't worry about it.
3. Take off the driver side panel and walk it around to the bag. Make sure the floppy clamp is as closed as it will stay. With the inside (white) of the panel facing the sky, I sit the center edge of the panel against my waist. Then, with one hand holding the panel, I have the other hand free to open the bag up and fish it in. As the bag lays, this panel will go on top of the black divider. Slide it in about halfway, and then pull the bag out of the Jeep and around the panel (Because again, it won't fit widthwise in the trunk).
4. The first panel should be in the bag with the notched end resting on the trunk floor and the other end in your hands. Pick the bagged panel up just like that and set the end that was in the Jeep gently on the ground. Then you can lean the panel against the bumper while you go get the other one. To clarify, the first panel is in the bag, and the bag is sitting with the notched corner on the ground, passenger side. I like to take a moment here to fold the divider over the panel that's stashed in there to make it easier to get the next one in. I put my panels in the bag top to top because I've found they slide in easiest that way after thorough investigation.
5. Grab the passenger side panel. Bring it around back and slide it into the bag. It will only go in one way, so I'm not going to further confuse things here by explaining it.
6. The first panel always sits a little lower in the bag than the second. It might take a minute of fidgeting to get it squared up and zipped up.
7. Once it's zipped, tip the whole bag clockwise onto the notched corner. This will let you get a hand on that bottom edge. I don't keep the rear seat in my 2 door and, again, I don't know what kind of trunk space the 4 door has. For me though, I can lift the bag up just like this and lay it in the back of the jeep. The notched corner ends up rear driver side, which conveniently matches the shape of the tailgate.

I follow these steps in reverse to get the panels bag on, except that I pull the drivers side panel out of the bag while it's still standing up on the ground, and then I toss the empty bag in the trunk before going to put the panel on.

Yes, it looks like a lot of steps and a lot of mental effort. Yes, I enjoy finding efficiency in routine. Yes, I enjoy writing sentences that follow the format of a yes or no, then comma, then statement. Yes, I'm nuts. But doing it this way makes the bag not only bearable, but pretty convenient. For me. I realize that written instructions are no substitute for pictures, but it's dark out, I'm tired, and the top panels are kickin it in my living room because the Jeep is naked. If anyone is really so insane as to want pictures of the process...... I'll think about it. And with that, I am going to bed. Thanks everyone, for enduring that lengthy, disturbing peek into my personality.

Quick Reply: Freedom top bag poorly designed?