Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Freedom Tops

Old 10-04-2015, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freedom Tops

Has anyone experienced their freedom tops taking in water with heavy rains while its parked? If so what did you do to correct it? Mine just started doing this and its getting aggravating, getting in and having water pour down from the top right onto legs and/or shoulders.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what year Jeep you have, but if it is under warranty take it to the dealer and have them fix it.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

that is the pdf for jeeps water leak diagnosis and repair
Attached Files
Old 10-05-2015, 03:05 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks for the guide, I'll go through it hopefully this weekend. Although I really didn't see the areas of concern in the guide. I'll check areas to see if they are the culprit. My tops are actually getting water inside them and then leaking out of the line up post area and the rear screw hold down area.

It is a 13 model but warranty is long gone.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like all you can do is find the hole where water gets in and patch it up, or replace the panel(s).
Old 10-05-2015, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Before doing anything else take your top off and clean the seal both around the jeep and the tops. Put back on and test (with hose) then go to more extreme measures
Old 10-05-2015, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Water IN the panels? As in, if you were to take them off, you might hear or feel water sloshing around in there?

That's not good. There's a hole or crack somewhere that needs to be addressed. You'll need to do some advanced troubleshooting, i.e. maybe filling up a kiddie pool and submerging the top panel and watching where air is escaping. Then drain the water, repair the hole, and refit the panel.

If there's not water inside the panels, then it's a seal-related issue. Usually always is. They're extremely finicky and if the seal has been damaged in any way, leaking is inevitable until it's repaired. Water might not be coming from the exact location of the leak, so it makes it hard to troubleshoot.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

My hardtop leaks during the rain. I replaced the b pillar muckets. I have given up trying to fix the problem. Easier to clean up the water, dry the seat belt, etc. Carpet has been removed from the back seat for years.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I may have misunderstood your problem - are you saying that you open the door when it is raining and water runs down onto the carpet towards the front of the door, getting you wet while getting in or out? If that is the case different answer, that is a design issue - no rain gutters and it will happen all the time.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Yankee
Seems like all you can do is find the hole where water gets in and patch it up, or replace the panel(s).
There is a hole in the top on the rear portion of the panel, thought about sealing it but didn't know if it was there for a reason. Thats where I'll go first.

Quick Reply: Freedom Tops