Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Freedom Tops

Old 10-06-2015, 02:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
I may have misunderstood your problem - are you saying that you open the door when it is raining and water runs down onto the carpet towards the front of the door, getting you wet while getting in or out? If that is the case different answer, that is a design issue - no rain gutters and it will happen all the time.
No, it is inside the tops, and drains when you start driving.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jk_sea
Water IN the panels? As in, if you were to take them off, you might hear or feel water sloshing around in there?

That's not good. There's a hole or crack somewhere that needs to be addressed. You'll need to do some advanced troubleshooting, i.e. maybe filling up a kiddie pool and submerging the top panel and watching where air is escaping. Then drain the water, repair the hole, and refit the panel.

If there's not water inside the panels, then it's a seal-related issue. Usually always is. They're extremely finicky and if the seal has been damaged in any way, leaking is inevitable until it's repaired. Water might not be coming from the exact location of the leak, so it makes it hard to troubleshoot.
Yes inside sloshing around, usually doesn't start leaking until water is being moved around by driving. When I take the tops off, the water drains out the back side of the top from a small hole. Don't know if Jeep designed the tops with a drain hole for this purpose or if it was for something else. I'll probably start by closing this hole with a strong tape, something that won't affect the seal and try a water test.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the header seal. On the older ones (like mine) they had a TSB on it. When I had my windshield replaced (long story) they had to replace that seal, never leaked before but after it leaks and has a whistle. From what I can find if you are off by a couple of millimeters with the installation that's what you get.

If it leaks into the channel it will probably run inside and drip on the console (like mine) or if there is a path into them it might fill into the tops
Old 10-08-2015, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by philuscg
Yes inside sloshing around, usually doesn't start leaking until water is being moved around by driving. When I take the tops off, the water drains out the back side of the top from a small hole. Don't know if Jeep designed the tops with a drain hole for this purpose or if it was for something else. I'll probably start by closing this hole with a strong tape, something that won't affect the seal and try a water test.
I do not recall ever seeing a hole in mine. I do not believe water is ever supposed to get inside the panels.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:24 AM
JK Newbie

I actually experienced the same thing a couple days ago. Water was sloshing around inside the left panel, and dripping from the right front latch (in the middle of the dash). Found the same hole you are talking about. Going to use some electrical tape to cover. My brother in laws both have the same hole, but haven't experienced the leak. Of course they park in garages. Lol. Will also be double checking the seal after reinstalling. Supposed to get some good rain tonight.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by muggia59
I actually experienced the same thing a couple days ago. Water was sloshing around inside the left panel, and dripping from the right front latch (in the middle of the dash). Found the same hole you are talking about. Going to use some electrical tape to cover. My brother in laws both have the same hole, but haven't experienced the leak. Of course they park in garages. Lol. Will also be double checking the seal after reinstalling. Supposed to get some good rain tonight.
Maybe a vent hole to relieve air pressure from temp changes? Guess I will have to look at my poor beat up panels. I don't want to look at them too hard though or they will finally start leaking.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Hi,

I just went through this this past week. I bought the jeep 3 weeks ago. Last week or a little before that we had heavy rains and I heard the water sloshing around any time I accelerated from a dead stop. I took off the drivers side, no sloshing in that panel. Took off the passenger side and knew just by the weight it had water in it. I rotated it with each side pointed towards the ground until I found the offending corner, I held towards the ground and low and behold water is coming out of that corner. I found at that corner a small hole in the rubber about half the size of a grain of rice. Not very big but that was the only place water was coming out off. After completely draining the panel, I filled the hole with black permatex silicone. Let it sit overnight and put the panel back in place. The next day we had periods of heavy rain and no more sloshing water. My Jeep is a 2008 and I bought it used, so I figured try to fix it myself first.

Quick Reply: Freedom Tops